User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes attenboroughii seeds germinated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    something to keep in mind, a "TDS meter" does not measure Total Dissolved Solids, it measures conductance and translates an approximate TDS based on calibration with a salt solution. If a solution has a high concentration of compounds with weak dissociation or ionic strength (low conductivity) it will read a much lower approximate TDS, a false result. These solutions will still have an osmotic pressure corresponding to their concentration.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewilder View Post
    The question was why
    I asked how freshness or viability could explain differential germination in pots and tubes. After all, whatever the age is, that's the age of all the seeds. If it's so important, you'd expect the same results in pots and tubes, because the age of the seeds is the same. Whether general viability is randomly or uniformly distributed in a seed packet, you wouldn't expect differential germination in pots and tubes, at least with reasonably large samples.
    Seventy-five percent of the time, seed of known age in vitro preceded those in composts, in terms of weeks; and I wouldn't expect the "same" results in both environments. It is generally weighted toward the TC media, three to one -- especially those kept in obscurity for ten days after sowing -- by about two weeks, in my experience.

I would also attribute a good portion of human error to media preparation (as a possible explanation for delays in germination versus compost), since it is as rampant in industry as among hobbyists -- everything from the improper choice of salts (there are innumerable Muroshige Skoog mixes now available, with and without vitamins, etc.); their concentration (since MS is high in ammonium compounds - anathema to Nepenthes); the type of plant growth regulator used; improper calibration of pH meters; improper pH; improper carbon source for the genus; not taking into account the post-autoclave drop of pH, which can be significant. Was a PGR even used during germination, since many choose "plain" media for that purpose?

Then there is the method of sterilization of the all-important seed. Were they bleached all-to-hell before placed into TC media (as an aside, I generally don't treat seed going into conventional compost)? Did the 70% ethanol dip affect them? Was PPM used for sterilization; and if so, what was the concentration and duration; and the concentration of the MS salts used in the solution? There's also some talk that PPM delays or inhibits TC germination by some growers; though that jury seems out for the time being . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm... My attenboroughiii seeds are germinating! I'm up to 13 seedlings. YAY!!!

Admittedly, I may have made a mistake in putting together the media. I was in a rush to go on vacation but wanted to plate the seeds before I left. The seeds look like they are sitting on very firm jello so I must have miscalculated the amount of agar. If I mismeasured the agar, who knows what I did with the BAP and PPM. I just might make a batch of fresh media and replate. I have new seeds coming anyway.

I'm still learning this TC stuff and having fun with it. Thanks BigBella for all the advice you've given me so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

Those I have in media are still a few weeks behind you. I hope to see something by Christmas . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @David, what temps are your seeds experiencing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    @David, what temps are your seeds experiencing?
    I am giving them intermediate to highland Tbs -- days in the seventies; nights in the low sixties or upper fifties. That has generally worked for me in the past . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im doing the same temp range for them and still no germination, perhaps attenboroughii germinates much quicker in lowland temperatures.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first seed germinated this afternoon. It seemed to happen pretty quickly because when i checked in the morning there was nothing. I actually got inermis germination this morning too.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast