What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just to be sure...

I received my second hamata 11/09 and the lower leaves are slowly yellowing. I realize that this normal but I am only watering about every 7 days and am thinking it might be too long. Both hamata's are next to each other with the first received on 10/31 and being about 1.5 inches across growing steadily almost since it arrived and the second being about 2 inches across doing little growing until it had been here for several days and much slower than #1. I started placing both into a five gallon aquarium at night with 100% humidity and 61 degree temps and #2 is now growing. A half developed leaf and pitcher that was fully extended but not dropping is now creeping slowly to the ground and a new growing tip is extending steadily. I keep extensive photo records and did some comparing and the lowest leaf was beginning to lighten on delivery and a couple more of the lowest were looking like they were beginning the same thing. The progression has been steady with the lowest leaf now dieing back from the tip and the other at different degrees of yellowing from lime green to greenish yellow. If there was a gallery here I could place a couple of pictures. I don't believe it is in trouble but always look to the long time Nepophiles for advice when in trouble. Here are the images from earliest to latest from another site:
N. hamata #2 Image A (11-09-2012)
gallery_7943_654_50469.jpg

N. hamata #2 Image B (11-17-2012)
gallery_7943_654_240038.jpg

N. hamata #2 Image C (11-21-2012)
gallery_7943_654_113479.jpg

N. hamata #2 Image D (11-27-2012)
gallery_7943_654_76048.jpg

N. hamata #2 Image E (12-03-2012)
gallery_7943_654_47251.jpg

N. hamata #2 Image F (12-14-2012)
gallery_7943_654_402918.jpg

A change in conditions will kill off older growth so long as the top keeps growing properly and is not deformed it's all good.

Thanks, now I can sleep.

It looks alright to me, maybe slowly declining.
Judging from that gauge in the background.. you may want to up the humidity by at least 10%, and not let it get any warmer than that 80*F shown.

Agreed. Overall I think it looks fine :), but make sure you're keeping it in highland temps. If you could lower your day temps a bit your hamata would appreciate it.

I personally think your humidity is just fine as is. My young hamata is growing and pitchering great in a 60-70% daytime and 80% night time humidity range. But to each his own. If you only recently got the plant however, then it might appreciate even higher humidity for a while as it acclimates.

I don't know how much the media is drying out between waterings, but deffinately keep a close eye on that to see if you need to water it more frequently. I would make sure the surface is always just damp to the touch, at least.

As you said, leaf aging is normal, but some nutrient deficiencies can specifically cause leaf decoloration and quicken leaf aging. You might consider applying a 1/4 strength orchid firtilizer as a light spray just to the leaves, no more than every couple weeks.

..... but I am only watering about every 7 days and am thinking it might be too long.
This comment hit me as an issue - if not now then possibly at some point in the future. It's not that the time is too long or too short but that it's an arbitrary time based on something other than the plant's needs. Some people gauge their pot's moisture level by lifting them and assessing the weight (some even use a scale). Other's use a visual indicator like live LFS. When the LFS starts to turn white, they water. Both of these methods can then be fine-tuned as you watch how the plant grows & both will automatically adjust to possible seasonal variations. Watering based purely on a schedule is convenient for you but may leave your plant either too dry or too wet (depending on the plant & environmental factors).

Some people do water based on time (ie: auto sprinklers in a greenhouse) but they'll usually water on a frequent basis so the plants never get too dry and they'll also adjust their media mix to fit their conditions. As an example - notice tonyp's comments in this thread.

Richjam's comments about temp and humidity are worth noting, as is Ron's comment about watering. Especially Ron's comment.

Lots of responders....very nice.
This newer picture of the hygrometer you mention is from when I first received the plant, a week ago I added a ultrasonic humidifier and the temps have lowered and I can control the humidity easily now. I replaced the single nozzle that came with the humidifier with one off of a different model that has an adjustable dual nozzle set-up. The first picture represents the current Temperature / Humidity setting that has been checked against a new Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer / Temperature. Without reading my initial post to see if I am repeating myself the two hamata's and mac go into an unheated room at night in a 5 gallon aquarium with the temperature & humidity ranging between 58º - 62º & 100% H.

Springfield 90113-1 Hygrometer
gallery_7943_653_152544.jpg

Sunpentown SU-2020
gallery_7943_653_56460.jpg

Sunpentown SU-2020 with the adjustable Sunpentown SU-4010 Dual Nozzle
gallery_7943_653_30202.jpg

Back