User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Hamata Selected clone- worth it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe he was saying to NOT want stuff like edwardsiana or attenbourghii because everyone else has/wants it. I would get some cool neps or dews with that money. Theres Spectabilis, aristo... etc. I would personally fill up my tank with dews of all sorts.
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i understand but he also said to get what i wanted, and i actually want an eddie or an attenbourghii
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That particular merchant has a reputation for selling mediocre plants for the highest prices. I bought a few plants from them a year ago, and half of my purchases were very poor specimens, for which I paid far more than I should have. I recommend buying elsewhere.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aperture are those hamatas from said retailer different from standard hamatas? as in are they the purple-peristome and all? or are they regulars- if you happen to know.
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are BE clones, and by looking at the picture I see they do indeed have purple peristome.
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrew View Post
    Don't order from there. They sell dying plants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    That particular merchant has a reputation for selling mediocre plants for the highest prices. I bought a few plants from them a year ago, and half of my purchases were very poor specimens, for which I paid far more than I should have. I recommend buying elsewhere.
    +1 to the two I quoted... They won't even answer my emails when I told them I was going to buy a lowii x campanulata from them and ask the size of the actual plant. I was going to disregard what people had told me about them and give it a try since they had a good deal, but when they completely ignored me, I knew they weren't going to respond to my emails when they send me a dying plant. They definitely have something to hide. Hanging basket doesn't mean the plant will be huge, they can but a seedling in a hanging basket and it wouldn't be false advertising. Just like how 4" pot doesn't mean big plant. Buy from a site that will tell you the actual size. Go to a supplier that orders from BE and reserve a plant with them for when they order next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want it then buy it, you only live once and as long as you aren't putting your mortgage or car payments on hold to do it why not. If you wait and shop around you will definately find one for less and Wistuba in Germany is well known, reliable and very inexpensive (40,00 EUR). He has stopped shipping because of winter but you can check his jaw-dropping list at his site here to see for yourself: http://www.wistuba.com/shop/pricelist/index.php
    I bought my two hamata's (1.5" & 2") from Drosera Gemmae for under $100 per which might not be the least pricey but much better than $300. I wouldn't spend that much on a six inch plant either but then want or need dictates what someone will spend. If I want something bad enough then I will stretch the budget a little. I paid $85 for my 1" macrophylla just recently and didn't flinch yet a family member nearly choked after hearing what I paid after admiring the little gem. I agree about the "High Elevation" requirements being hype. All of my Neps are young and kept in my bathroom / greenhouse in 2 end-to-end neptune racks with the greenhouse bags over the top. Up until two weeks ago they were getting by with a whole house humidifier and frequent misting and temperature / humidity levels of 70-80 / 60-70%. After adding a SUNPENTOWN SU-2020 two gallon ultrasonic humidifier and the onset of colder weather the levels are now 62-74 / 80-90%. I have to admit that for the last two weeks I have been moving the hamata's and mac into a five gallon aquarium with wet sphagnum in an unheated room overnight achieving 55-60 / 100% and am noticing increased growth so even though they can be maintained in lowland to moderate conditions they will thrive if the nighttime conditions more correctly reflect the native habitat.
    Just for the record, I have done some investigating and it looks like using the refrigeration assembly out of a dorm size fridge is a less expensive option that will do the job. Along with that will be an ultrasonic humidifier or fogger and control unit(s) to manage the conditions. I have seen some really cool set-ups in large home-made cases fit for a museum display but for now I will let mother nature and the humidifiers provide what they need. Go on Youtube and look around, there is a guy that used Corsair brand computer CPU coolers to chill his.
    I tell everyone this and get frowns from my kids when my grandkids hear it............."If it Aint Fun, Don't Do It!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BE has two clones. They just started releasing the second. There is nothing 'select' about them. They are exactly what you would expect for a G. Lumut N. hamata
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast