User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nepenthes Hamata Selected clone- worth it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only hamata seedling that's worth that much (to me) comes in red and is kinda hairy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did we make the jump from $230 to $300? LOL! The price is $230. (well OK, so another much more highly recomended nursery is selling larger plants for $278, but still)

I also would not recomend the referenced nursery, as I have definately gotten some sub-par specimens from them (though they have all recovered). They definately have a large selection though, which is the only reason I have ordered from them on occasion. If you keep your eyes peeled and have some patience you can get the same size plant for a much cheaper price. If you can get your hands on a small $90-$100 plant though, I would say go for it! You're not going to find larger specimens for sale in the near future. Unless you know someone with a larger plant that can get you larger cuttings, it's very unlikely to get a larger plant for a reasonable price. I spent $90 on my small hamata and I don't regret it in the least!

Regarding buying plants just becuase they are rare and expensive: I'm not saying that doesn't ever happen, but for the most part I think most of the more expensive nepenthes earn it. Don't get me wrong, ventricosa is a VERY beautiful species, but it's not on the same level as hamata, villosa, or edwardsiana,. The latter species are simply and absolutely stunning!! But obviously that is up to personal opinion; so yes, pay for the plant that you really personally want.

Another reason that some species are very expensive, which I haven't seen mentioned here, is that they may require extra care and grow very slowly compared to more common species, making them more time consuming to propogate and grow to a good looking plant.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    How did we make the jump from $230 to $300? LOL! The price is $230. (well OK, so another much more highly recomended nursery is selling larger plants for $278, but still)
    I've seen those in person. They were selling some for $214.75 but those were tiny as heck. The small ones were not impressive at all. The $278.75 ones are much bigger. The biggest ones on their sales floor were like 3" or so, but bigger than they sound. Produce nice sized pitchers with visible, separated teeth. They bigger ones were about the size of the ones in the picture on their website... If you order, order from there, but I still would wait and get something you really want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamata-Honzo View Post
    aperture are those hamatas from said retailer different from standard hamatas? as in are they the purple-peristome and all? or are they regulars- if you happen to know.
    All "standard hamata's" or "regular hamatas" sold have purple peristomes

Edit: A couple pics of my hamata for heck's sake This is a clone from Gunung Lamut, Sulawesi

Last edited by richjam1986; 12-20-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    If you order, order from there, but I still would wait and get something you really want.
    Maybe he really wants a hamata He he. Might want to wait for a cheaper one though (keeping in mind that cheaper will generally mean smaller, thought the one I got for $90 was actually decent sized for the price, at almost 2 inches about a year ago[the one pictured in my last post]).

Best of luck in your purchase choice!
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123