Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamata Leaf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamata Leaf

About six weeks ago I accidentally popped off a small leaf near ground level while looking for thripes. I tossed it into the trash bin and later decided to stick it into a small pot of coir to see if it would take. After placing a Pepsi bottle greenhouse over the top I stuck it in the back of the rack and forgot about it. I ran across it today and was surprised to see the leaf still bright green like when it was placed there. Any possibility that it might actually produce a clone? How long does it usually take for roots to form?
    12/28/2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of nepenthes growing from a leaf cutting but if it works it is certainly publication worthy! Best of luck to you!
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if it would take, I have never heard of taking nep leaf cuttings before either. Will be interested to see if it grows!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will just return it to the same location on the rack and ignore it like before but I suspect it will peter out by the end of January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unless there is a portion of the stem from the base of the leaf, your chances are pretty much nill.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, I stuck in multiple leaves into live spaghnum, and not by accident. One did get some growth about 3 weeks later, a tiny root thingy but the humidity must have not been high enough and it eventually dried out. I had some pest problems and I was trying to dry things out. Also, me taking out the leaf on multiple occasions for progress checks probably did not help either. When I have extra leaves to spare, which won't be for a while, I will try it again. Currently, they just got amputated for explants experiments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a snapped off tentaculata leaf stay green for around 2 months and it was just sitting in a small puddle on the greenhouse floor. Getting a leaf to root would probably never happen

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of one person (can't remember his name) that made a Nepenthes leaf root. It lived for quite some time and never really made any basals.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast