Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple new plants/pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple new plants/pics

Couple new plants in today which warrants new pics. Sorry for the cell phone quality but its less complicated to take them that way.

First off the new plants:
    N lowii x (nothiana x veitchii)
    Photobucket

N sumatrana
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Now for the more established plants:

N veitchii K
    Typical coloration on a new pitcher
    Photobucket
    Interesting color the pitchers sometimes develop as they age. Looks beautiful in person besides the sins of aging which are really my fault for trying to fertilize that pitcher.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

N truncata pasian
    My oldest nep which has had a few set backs in its life. Cut off the main growth point some time ago and the basals are now developing the nice pitchers I always wanted out of it. Nice red colors on this clone when grown indoors
    Photobucket

Photobucket

N robcantleyii
    The star of my collection thus far. Has been a fantastic grower for me since I first got it. Slowed down a bit for winter but still had to be repotted recently. This pic is just of the plant to show size. It has 3 pitchers on it but I didn't want to disturb the plant again after the repot just to shoot them. The pitcher in the pic I included is still on the plant but the pic was taken months ago. The newer pitchers are all nice but this one has the best features on any the plant has developed thus far.
    Photobucket

N Robcantleyi

Couple other plants that don't have pitchers at the moment that I didn't include. Maybe they'll be looking good again by my next photo shoot. Anyway, good growing!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great plants, man. Our Pasian truncatas look very much alike. Did you ever sell a cutting from it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that lowii x (nothiana x veitchii) should be a real looker before too long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your pics!

Couple of questions:
    - does your veitchii 'k' peristome always darken to red & lose the stripes? Another grower told me that their plant retains it's stripes ... I'm especially curious because I received a monster 'K' from a buddy but the peristome loses it's stripes as it ages and we were starting to think it was a mislabeled 'H'
    - when you repotted your robcantleyi - was the root system as extensive / packed as you anticipated?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great plants, man. Our Pasian truncatas look very much alike. Did you ever sell a cutting from it?
    The cutting of the main plant I took was not too terribly healthy and had taken the stress of growing outside for awhile and it died before rooting so I never traded any cuttings. As far as I know this is one of the BE clones though and while they have several it is completely possible that they are the same plant.

that lowii x (nothiana x veitchii) should be a real looker before too long.
    I think/hope so too! You never know with hybrids and the more complex they are the more they can surprise you but I love all of the plants involved in this cross and don't see how it can go wrong. I guess the dream would be a colorful, tubby, wide mouthed, large striped persitome plant with hair under the lid and on the pitcher body. Doubtful that all will work out but I'm sure there will be stripes and good color with attractive leaves so I'm excited!

Couple of questions:
    - does your veitchii 'k' peristome always darken to red & lose the stripes? Another grower told me that their plant retains it's stripes ... I'm especially curious because I received a monster 'K' from a buddy but the peristome loses it's stripes as it ages and we were starting to think it was a mislabeled 'H'
    - when you repotted your robcantleyi - was the root system as extensive / packed as you anticipated?
    The veitchii K always darkens with age and the stripes become a lot less visible. You can still see where they were but after a 2-3 weeks it starts to darken. The pitcher shown isn't as dark as it can get. As far as i know it is still consistent with the description of K since H and K both came from the same seed batch but the K's were the ones that displayed striping while the H's showed little to no striping even soon after opening. Here is a pic of a lower pitcher from when the plant was younger that shows better stripes but they have always darkened with age.
    veitchii k
    The plant is vining now and growing out of the grow area up into the window. The conditions aren't the best for it so the pitchers haven't been as large as they could have been but it is doing very well growth wise. Just popped up a couple basals in fact and showing no signs of stress in the main stem except maybe slowing a bit as the plant refocuses some of its energy.

The root system on the robcantleyi was pretty extensive. I didn't want to disturb the roots too much and the media wasn't old at all so I didn't dig in to the roots deeply to see how developed it was. I will say that for a mix that is probably 70% perlite the plants root system held all the media together when I pulled the plant out of the pot
    Last edited by Neps_N_Things; 01-03-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very very very nice. Awesome plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking plants and good pics

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)