Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nepenthes Froze Overnight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    water expands when it freezes so why wouldnt the cells explode upon freezing?
    Plant cells bound with cell wall made of cellulose it doesn't change size. Insides get bigger as water becomes ice... Poof ice crystals shred everything...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant is more than likely to survive. My highland seedlings saw temperatures in the 2-3˚ C range (roughly 37-38˚F) this last week; and they couldn't be happier . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    Plant cells bound with cell wall made of cellulose it doesn't change size. Insides get bigger as water becomes ice... Poof ice crystals shred everything...
    How can an inside get bigger without a cell wall changing size? Ice crystals shred if the crystals growing damages the cell wall, but depending on how much ice actually formed within the plant cell itself. The cells don't expand because ice expands, water shifts occur with freezing between the cells, and water gets drawn out. Don't the extracellular spaces freeze 1st? Still just wondering if a slow re-warm might prevent less damage than a quick one.
    Last edited by Taargus; 01-16-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys I think what happens is that the ice forms ice crystals inside the cells and punctures the cell walls. When it thaws it becomes somewhat like gelatin in texture. This kills the cells and creates black spots on the leaves. Let me know if I'm wrong.

*edit*
    so I found this article on google and it seems Taargus is right:

What happens when plants freeze

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BioZest View Post
    Hey guys I think what happens is that the ice forms ice crystals inside the cells and punctures the cell walls. When it thaws it becomes somewhat like gelatin in texture. This kills the cells and creates black spots on the leaves. Let me know if I'm wrong.

*edit*
    so I found this article on google and it seems Taargus is right:

What happens when plants freeze
    Exactly! I'm not here to debate or come up with any new theories on what happens when plants freeze. We already know exactly what happens. My point was that this might be applicable to helping recover a frost damaged Nepenthes. The plant was protected by a box, and in a mailbox of some type. Considering that, I would think that he's got a better shot at less damage by a slower warm up. It's not as if the entire plant has completely frozen solid.

Either way, it's too late now, but it's what I would try if it ever happened to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received three plants recently from an eBay seller and even though he stated never to have had a cold problem all three suffered leaf damage. All looked like they had been neglected and on one the new leaf just peaking from the center is dead and black. I am watching for new buds to form at ground level and a new growth to appear above but nothing yet. Maybe I should pull a decent leaf and stick it in a propagation box to see if I can start one from scratch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't buy from eBay anymore because I have had some really dreadful experiences getting plants that way (unless its someone I know and trust already). The risk is too great for my liking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12