Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ ElectrCarnvrs - I think both Whimgrinder & Amphirion covered the issues regarding context. Given the incredibly wide range of experience levels & growing conditions on the forum (yes - we have 13 year old kids who have literally never grown a plant before as well as people from Malaysia & Maine asking similar questions), some background info is helpful for framing appropriate responses.
    My asking to veiw others photos and gaining insight on their personal experiences in what a forum is for.
    Completely agree.

I apologize since my original response seems to have been a catalyst for inappropriate (& off-topic) attacks at one of our very experienced & helpful members.

@ richjam1986: your post & guidance to Mass is well written, insightful & appropriate (you're also much faster than me - as your post wasn't even there when I started to write mine - LOL)

@ mass,
    The sarcasm in your 1st reply, as well as the attacking nature of the next two posts is inappropriate (imho). I personally cannot see what Paul wrote that remotely caused these responses (ie: nothing he wrote is condescending). Otoh. your personal attacks are quite unambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    I ordered an edwardsiana. Anyone have any useful tips?
    Or assumptions regarding my experience skill level 5 when it really has nothing to do with anything that we're talking about here.. ?

hamata is cool..
    Leave the poor kid alone.
    Why in the hell should he need to reveal ANYTHING about himself to obtain grow tips on a particular species.
    His "growspace" is either up to par, or it isn't. That's his problem to work on..
    We were all able to answer his questions meanigfully and intelligently regardless of "sufficient context".
    Paul, You obviously just want to talk about greenhouses and growspaces... so.... YOUR problem here, is the same thing I pointed out to you on the pro boards. Get.. Over.. Yourself..
    Just because you have a greenhouse doesn't make you better than everyone else. Please explain that to your ego for me.

Elec, I'll pm you regarding the seed grown edwardsiana orders.. I'm done here.
    I feel the same way every time I see you talking down to people. Like you're better than them because you own a greenhouse.
    I also feel you now know you crossed a line by talking down to me.
    Just because your grow space has changed, doesn't mean you as a person should too. I liked you better before..
    For both of our sakes, quit talking down to people like they're beneath you. It's not nice.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... and now my turn to post something on-topic ...

@ ElectrCarnvrs: Here's an old thread that covers my experiences & observations with two small rootless AW hamata's. Enjoy your new arrival!
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I saw this topic yesterday and too thought ElectrCarnvrs was one of the people that likes to buy plants then ask how to grow them (it's not like we've never seen that before). Ron gave a suggestion and EC respectfully let him know he has the skill and a proper grow area. Done and done. Whimgrinder then explaining that he too can see why Ron felt that way and gave a suggestion to prevent this later.
    I think there should be some thought put into a persons skill level/ability when it comes to some of the more demanding plants, especially when someone is trying to give some recommendations so they know how far in detail to go for example. It's nice that Mass and Exo were able to answer EC to the extent he was looking- It seems to me these guys know a bit about EC from other posts/other forums something to know he has the setup and know how.
    I think Mass's post was definitely out of line on the polite meter and I honestly don't even know where it came from. I can't say I've seen Whimgrinder talk down to anyone in this post or otherwise on this forum... but I admit to not reading everything.

Also, tsk tsk to amphirion for his favorite quote, but I'm going to leave it since I believe I first saw it written a similar way in Jr. high :-p

Lets just make sure to give enough information to get our questions answered (I've seen forums mandate certain information in question posts because people always leave out info that can help lead to a detailed answer), and definitely check your reply for politeness. If you reread it and feel it doesn't follow the "Be nice" rule of this forum but still think it is necessary, contact a mod or myself to review it.

P.S. I have nothing to add to how to grow N. hamata so I'll go sit in the corner now.
    Thanks!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to add I cant wait until my hamatas have pitchers. Its like torture waiting on the first one. Soon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to everyone who posted their plants and experience with the species..

My intention was just to hear everyone's in put about hamata due to the fact I have never had this nepenthes before.
    Of course I have done my own research online but again doesn't hurt to hear a more personable experience and advice.

Again I have a great highland set up which I have posted pics on another post.. I am not new to the forums or growing cps what so ever.. It has just been a long time for me to post anything due to being busy..

Again thank you to those of you who were kind enough to post your pics and advice I really appreciate it.

RL7836 thank you for that older post your hamata is amazing
    Last edited by ElectrCarnvrs; 01-28-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon. You're a great guy. You're a skilled grower. MOST of your plants are spectacular. All that being said.........I really just want to put that ugly little frankenmutant of a plant out of it's misery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon, what did you do to that poor thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    Now, back to the topic on hand: N. hamata is great I've only been growing mine for about a year, but give it moderate to high humidity and good highland temps and it should do great.Younger plants need higher humidity, but they're suposed to be able to take lower humidity as they mature (I am told ?).

Here's my young beauty:
    From the handwriting on the plant label, it looks like you got yours from the same place I got mine and around the same time.

Here's one I just took of a new pitcher:

N. hamata is easy to grow provided basic highland conditions.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast