Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deader than Hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deader than Hell

Just got in a Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides and Nepenthes mikei with no name tags or heat pack. The stem is so long on the spectabilis x aristolochioides that when they packed it the foliage floated on top of the packaging material like a lily pad on water and being up against the box it froze somewhere between there and here. After looking at some pictures it turns out that the N. spectabilis x aristolochioides is the dead one and I can't help but wonder if it wasn't shipped dead. The mikei was within the styro peanuts and only the tip of the new emerging leaf is dead. I contacted the seller and offered pictures and am waiting for a response. Maybe the roots and lower stem are alive and could bud new life but it will take a few days to know if even that section of the plant was frozen also. The ventricosa x hamata that came a few days ago from a different seller appears to have suffered some damage also but should grow out of it.

Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides

Nepenthes mikei

Nepenthes ventricosa x hamata

Nepenthes ventricosa x hamata four days after delivery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to see that but frozen plants is a risk one takes when ordering plants in the middle of winter. The one looks like compost but there other two should make it. Definitely looks like that one froze during shipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm..interesting philosophical question!
    who is the most at blame here?
    the amazingly stupid buyer who ordered several Nepenthes shipped to the Midwest in January?
    or the negligent seller who agreed to ship them to the Midwest in January?

The seller should have refused to ship, so they have *some* blame perhaps, but IMO, not really..
    because clearly the buyer took the risk..So if I were on the jury, I would say its clearly the buyers fault.
    the seller cant be held accountable for Winter..although they should have refused to ship.
    So I would place the judgment at 80% buyers fault, 20% sellers fault..
    just ordering them at all, in January, was definitely the worst offense..
    buyer has to take the hit..you gamble, sometimes you lose.
    and this was a looooooooong shot.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've recieved many orders to the northeast this winter and none have been damaged. the sellers either waited for a mild spell in the forecast or included heatpacks.

If they are going to sell you the plants then some effort shoukd be made to warn you and offer options of heatpacks or a later ship date. effort on both ends wouldnt have hurt though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scottychaos must be the one who shipped it.
    Totally meaningless dribble and a poor choice of words, you obviously weren't raised very well. Crude name calling indicates a childish ego. You are also wrong by the way. If I ran a business selling plants I would ship them in a way to increase the odds of success. Had the dead one been shipped with a heat pack with the entire plant well within the foam popcorn this post probably wouldn't have taken place. Requiring a signature on delivery would also lower the odds since the box wouldn't have spent any time on the step. If I lose a plant that way and the seller has done everything possible to insure safe delivery then it is on me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    i've recieved many orders to the northeast this winter and none have been damaged. the sellers either waited for a mild spell in the forecast or included heatpacks.

If they are going to sell you the plants then some effort shoukd be made to warn you and offer options of heatpacks or a later ship date. effort on both ends wouldnt have hurt though
    I agree. I've been ordering and receiving plants all winter and havent lost one. Most were shipped without heat packs. Just got in a robcantleyi today and it was 35F outside.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Ask the merchant if they include a heat pack.
    2) Ask the merchant if they monitor weather trends as applicable to the situation, and opt to delay shipment till weather is less risky.

If you don't like the answers you get to these questions, don't buy from the seller; choose someone else. I'm getting the impression we are talking about eBay merchants, and I won't buy plants from eBay anymore, unless I know exactly who I'm dealing with and trust them implicitly.

I buy Nepenthes year round from two or three trusted growers whose names need not be mentioned here. (We all know who) i have received shipments from two of these sellers in the past two weeks. (in fact, two shipments from each in the past month) All of them ship with a heat pack in the box, and all of them will delay a shipment if the weather indicates. I have had plants shipped to me in Oregon from locations in Colorado and New York, and not once have I had a plant arrived damaged from these sources. It's all about dealing with the right people, IMO.

Addendum: I don't think it's very fair to suggest the buyer is less than intelligent for buying in January, since I have had no bad experiences doing this very thing. But then I suppose its possible that I am of sub-par intellect ;-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    scottychaos must be the one who shipped it.
    Totally meaningless dribble and a poor choice of words, you obviously weren't raised very well. Crude name calling indicates a childish ego. You are also wrong by the way. If I ran a business selling plants I would ship them in a way to increase the odds of success. Had the dead one been shipped with a heat pack with the entire plant well within the foam popcorn this post probably wouldn't have taken place. Requiring a signature on delivery would also lower the odds since the box wouldn't have spent any time on the step. If I lose a plant that way and the seller has done everything possible to insure safe delivery then it is on me.
    I agree on both accounts.
    It's the companys fault. I got an order a few weeks ago and already new pitchers open. If the seller knows what they are doing there's not much risk.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast