Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes physiology

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes physiology

Two questions related to two different plants.
    If you have a living root system and lower stalk only will it bud new growth from said stalk?
    If the growth tip is dead and still has healthy foliage what will happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) yes- maybe; it depends if the growth point is recoverable or not. if not, refer to answer 2.
    2) dormant nodes from the stem will activate. if your plant is healthy, this can result in multiple growth points, though weaker plants will only have enough energy to replace the main growth point.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for your first question is the stalk healthy? with leaves but no growth point? or are you talking like a stump?
    Second question: usually a lateral bud will break and become the apical dominant growth point.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my first nep was a spectabilis i received as a gift along with two sarrs. i had no clue what i was doing so i put them in a water tray with the sarrs in my shady back yard. a couple nights later raccoons raided the tray and dug everything up. the sarrs were fine so i re-potted them. the nep had been torn to shreds. had a small amount of soil still stuck around the roots but the growth point was gone. threw it on the compost heap. maybe two weeks later i was about to turn the compost or something, and i noticed three tiny green buds on the stem of the nep. that was 2005, still have it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of a Nepenthes burbidgeae, I bought 2 burbidgeae and 1 madagascariensis just before Christmas and they all look as though they were allowed to dry out. The other two will recover but the one in the picture is in limbo and the growth tip is absolutely dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Nepenthes singalana seedling has a dead growth tip, it's barely visible but can be seen sticking up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm...this is a good question...I wonder how the grow-point will grow from a plant with leaf stems so close together. Keep update pls, I would love to see how it turns out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I trim the leaves back 50% to maybe force buds. I have another of these so if I lose it so be it but it might be interesting to experiment?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast