What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month February 2013

Vote for the top 3 best!!

• Exo - N. spectabilis x talangensis

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Wire Man - N. 'Caladium'

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • MurphysLaw - N. spathulata x hamata

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • amphirion - N. platychila

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • adilevi424@gm - N. platychila

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Rokosauros - N. thorelli x truncata

• Tuuagso - N. ovata

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whimgrinder - N. hybrid

• RL7836 - N. inermis

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Red Lowii - N. (ventricosa 'red' x (lowii x ventricosa))

• tzestan - N. bicalcarata

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Favian - N. robcantleyi

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • cpbobby - N. nigro gracilis x mirabilis

• Ambanja - N. ventricosa

• mattmiller - N. muluensis x lowii

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • uphwiz - N. lowii x campanulata

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Av8tor1 - N. macrophylla

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Peatmoss - N.bokorensis "Mt. Bokor, Cambodia" Wistuba

• mass - N. x Tiveyi 'Sarawak Red'

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • kulamauiman - N. maxima x xtrusmadiensis

• carbonetc - N. reinwardtiana

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Rball - N. ventricosa x insignis

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
N. [Ventricosa-(Red) x (Lowii x Ventricosa)]

@RL7836, Congratulations on finally hitting uppers! Looks perfect!
@adilevi424@gm, Also Congrats on the upper! ze pitcher mamash niflaa :)

8461457620_f15b297659_c.jpg

8461446996_294b76c818_c.jpg

8461465642_60a70fcbfd_c.jpg

8460369991_d0324dddb7_c.jpg

Wow redlowii that looks like lowii x ventricosa

Ahh such beautiful plants everyone.

Enjoy that one Exo..

Woot woot Ron you've finally coaxed uppers out of it, and they look great!! :awesome:

very nice Ron! interesting that the tendril has no loop in it.

Finally ....

Similar to my U. endresii backstory, it seems like I've been waiting forever for my N. inermis to produce an upper. Ever since I got the plant, it always inflated a pitcher on each new leaf (lowers) on both the main vine & a basal. However, once it started to vine, it completely stopped inflating pitchers. After several leaves, it started to inflate one but then aborted it. It then skipped several more leaves before eventually sending one down in a very inaccessible area. I can't move the pitcher without untangling pitchers from 4-5 other plants - so the following pics are through glass & far from optimal (my apologies) - but I wanted to document that an upper was finally made before I started to chop the vine for cuttings.

:ohno:
Don't chop it up just as it's starting to make nice uppers! That would be a tragedy! Let it shine for a few more months at least, don't you think?

very nice Ron! interesting that the tendril has no loop in it.
So far, each upper (whether inflated or not) has that same geometric shape to the tendril. I found that a bit odd - was wondering if it had something to do with the way they auto-empty rainwater?

Don't chop it up just as it's starting to make nice uppers! That would be a tragedy! Let it shine for a few more months at least, don't you think?
Oh - believe me - I'd like to leave it alone for a while - especially as the next pitcher (just starting to inflate) has perched itself atop the N. robcantleyi pot (like a king-of-the-mountain). However, the other side: 1) the vine has run from one end of a 4 foot tank to the other - it's out of space, 2) I was pondering the possibility of having some cuttings for the NASC (ideally rooted - as well as N. hamata & N. tenuis) & 3) keeping it & the N. tenuis out of the lights (where the tendrils get fried) is almost a full time job. ???

wooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww amazing Bical !!!! :awesome:
tzestan could u please tell me how old is yours Bical? I have one but definitly smaller .

Thanks!!

Its so seductive...I can imagine why bugs can't resist the pitchers...and add in the scent of the nectar irresistible!

n.robcantleyi This the second pitcher under my 7 months of care. It opened few days ago :)
604045_10151432105614456_101124980_n.jpg

Now that's an epic photo! Great job with the photography and the plant. :eek:

Awesome! I love pics where neps seem to just plant their pitchers wherever they please. :lol:

Thank you guys! This month's entries are amazing!

sheesh, that robcantleyi looks great. the thorelii x truncata and paul's plant also tickle my fancy. great pics everybody!

great photo Favio.
Wish you could've gotten the peristome in focus a bit more. Would've made a great desktop background.

tzestan could u please tell me how old is yours Bical? I have one but definitly smaller .

I have the plant for almost 4 years now.
Started as a plant 15cm across. About 1m across today.

Its so seductive...I can imagine why bugs can't resist the pitchers...and add in the scent of the nectar irresistible!

Ya.. the nectar droplets stay wet and sticky under baking sun. Mostly attracting ants.

I've heard that N. bicalcarata attract mostly ants. They seem to like trying to get the nectar on the tips of the fangs, and almost always end up falling in.

I think that its more just that the nectar lures them to the fangs and the fall off just because of the shape and the slipperiness.

Back