Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes coffee treatments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes coffee treatments

Hello everyone,

Does anyone here us coffee treatments on there nepenthes? I've never done this before for my plants... But I hear from a lot of people that this works great... What do you think? And what's the best way to start?

Much love,

Drew McClain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give my plants coffee its the best way to fertilise neps. Use only filter coffee and give it biweekly. You will see results by the third month

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a thread all about coffee treatments. I just posted my pictures of my results at the end of the thread. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...Roast-Pressure
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh must be an ultra highlander thing.........my initial thought has always been "doesn't fertilizing nepenthes defeat the purpose of a carnivorous plant?" but I guess if you are dealing with a plant that takes 10 years to grow less than a foot then a little jolt may be what the doctor ordered . My lowland plants grow fast enough without additional fert....just addressed my x coccinae yesterday.....growth was beginning to stall and newest leaf was looking a little deformed. After only 4 months the rootball went from 1.5 inch circumference to root locking the 6 inch pot. oui.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think watering neps with only pure water does not replicate what happens in the wild,so coffee treatment is a good idea,when you see wild nep populations(only in pictures for me)they are surrounded by other (non carnivorous) plants ,so there must be nutrients around,even if the plant is a strict epiphyte i would of thought nutrients will be washed into the nook its growing in

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of us give plants coffee here, every few weeks. I use it on both lowland and highland plants, and it definitely helps move things along.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    i think watering neps with only pure water does not replicate what happens in the wild,so coffee treatment is a good idea,when you see wild nep populations(only in pictures for me)they are surrounded by other (non carnivorous) plants ,so there must be nutrients around,even if the plant is a strict epiphyte i would of thought nutrients will be washed into the nook its growing in
    ahhhh I use only rain water

ill re-consider after i put up a gh.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, coffee at full strength works very well for some species (namely the ones growing in ultramafic soils) and not so well on others. And although it does contain nutrients, you're basically re-acidifying the media, which is much more important than most growers seem to understand. For the species that don't seem to appreciate it, you can see an obvious difference in where they grow, such as limestone, sand, etc., which supports the real benefit of coffee.

As an aside, a few "natives" I've spoken to say that all the Nepenthes they've in the wild are full of ants, so much so that the liquid in the pitchers looks like an "ant porridge." Could be something to consider..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast