Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poorly hamata!! help!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi anthony,i have stayed away from peat for nepenthes, and slowly repotting plants into a 2/1/1 sphagnum orchid bark perlite mix,my plants seem to like it and as you say the moss is pretty nice too,i used peat based in the past and would not go back,i still have a few plants in peat based but they are growing too well to disturb,i used neem oil on aphids ,a small outbreak but got it sorted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much Corky! I tend to buy on ebay, can you recommend good orchid bark suppliers? I have recently got into Cattleyas so that would be a great help. Also there seen to be many Neem oil products on ebay, where would you recommend? Thanks so much Spooky1, I don't think that product is available in the UK, unless I'm mistaken?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got the orchid bark at the garden center,and the product was neem repel,you can get it on line from grow well hydroponics bit expensive but goes a very long way http://www.growell.co.uk/pest-control-plant-health.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give it a go! so that's sphagnum moss, Orchid bark and perlite in equal quantities? I assume the only way to minimise root disturbance is to remove the soil in a bucket of RO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my mix was 2 parts sphagnum 1 bark 1 perlite but no strict rules,if the plant is in decline i would give it a go,i put a link up for the neem in my last post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Corky got the link much appreciated. Any ideas to minimise root disturbance would be really welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Antony

I'm no expert here, but I agree with others to carefully check your roots on the plant. I have a few young hamatas, and I had one over the past 6 months gradually slowed in growth, and the new leaves were getting smaller. Upon inspection, I found that the roots did die back. This was due to the soil mix I was using. I spoke with a few hamata growers, and they stated that theirs grew best in a plastic mesh pot, with live sphagnum only.

I then transplanted the weak plant (out of desperation!) into a mix of live sphagnum (which at the time I had little of), with fir bark, Perlite, and pumice. I have been keeping the new mix moist and once a week, watering with Super-Thrive (if it really works?). Over the past two months, the plant has snapped back, though the leaves are still small, the plant has produced 4 new growth points.

I’m hopeful that this one pulls thru. I have since transplanted my others to the same mix, and they are doing well, although, like most hamates, they are slow growers.

The bark I was using was the Black Gold Orchid Bark. I have been displeased with the product since the last few bags I bought from them contained a lot of small rocks, which is a dishonest way of adding weight to the bags. The results are less bark in a bag.

Good luck on the recovery process!
    Last edited by MurphysLaw; 02-01-2013 at 02:50 PM.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Antony, insecticidal soaps are always advised against in this hobby. That and copper fungicides are a recipe for disaster, as these plants do no tolerate either. Anything without insecticidal soap (fatty acids) as an ingredient will probably be ok, but it's always good to investigate first - pyrethroids, neem, neonicatinoids, etc., should all work well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast