Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poorly hamata!! help!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    On the lighter side....

Ummm Cheez Wiz and Systemic Pesticide .................. Yummers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was thinking some one with more expertise would chime in about root disturbance ,i transplanted my hamata with no probs at all,try and keep some media around the roots ,just enough so you do not disturb them,water will still drain better when surrounded by the mix i suggested,and as mato has said the fatty acid soapy stuff is no good at all and maybe the problem ,either way a repot in my opinion into a better mix is the way forward

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Insecticidal soap (fatty acid) is death to most CPs: avoid this at all costs! That alone could have caused your troubles.

The suggestions you received for more appropriate soil mixes are good ones. Vermiculite is not recommended for CP soils in general as they tend to leach minerals, so if you use them in a mix that doesn't regularly get a flushing with lots of clean water, there is potential for toxic buildup of minerals.

My Nepenthes mix is generally 1/3 high quality long fiber Sphagnum, 1/3 coarse Perlite, and 1/6 each of fine orchid (Fir) bark and horticultural charcoal. I have used coconut chips as well, but you have to wash that stuff by soaking for days, draining the water, and repeating the soak at least one more time. (To leach out salts) It works, but its more trouble to prepare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for all the replies I am so grateful to you all!! I'm gonna put them into the perlite, sphagnum and an orchid bark product which I've just picked up from the garden centre. I'll take some pics and keep you posted. No more peat for me! Fingers crossed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so I repotted today. When I removed the old mix it was very wet. The new mix was of sphagnum (dead), perlite and orchid bark in more or less equal quantities, so more or less as close as I could get to your mix Whimgrinder. The only living sphagnum I have I keep for dressing the pots. Pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8878222...oto_8435851858

Notice on the sickly hamata the original sphagnum plug it arrived in. I left this intact as I did not want to damage the roots, was this fool-hardy? So I couldn't really see if the roots had died back. On the 'healthy' plant the roots hadn't grown beyond the original plug either, so I didn't think I was justified in panicking about damaging the roots Corky! Is it the case that the wet mix prevents the roots growing and developing?

As you can see the new mix is very open. The reason for this is I 'd prefer to mist thoroughly every evening to keep the moss lush. How do other members keep their sphagnum happy without the plants themselves getting too wet? Is their such a thing as being too open, and how long can I realistically leave the plant before re-potting again bearing in mind the frequency of misting? I think you are right Murphyslaw, I'm gonna gradually re-pot all the plants into this new mix. Thanks for all your help!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123