Informational! Informational!:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes, Cephalotus, Drosera, Heliamphora ...etc, in vitro

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice cultures there, Jen. I especially like those Pinguicula "cabbages" that you had mentioned the other day . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang.... David and Jen, both active in tc and located in the Bay Area.... Us Bay Area cp growers are spoiled silly! Add in donH from SoCal---Cali is where it's at!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, those cabbage patches are real tiny and seemingly sprout overnight. But I am pretty sure they will not be as cute as they grow, as with most things.

Amphirion, you know all bad girls are hiding some jello, somewhere.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amph: My name doesn't belong in the same post as pokie and BigBella when it comes to TC. pokie literally does this for a living, although not for Neps. BigBella is the resident TC guru. I'm just someone who manages a research facility that has a lot of high end scientific equipment to play with and biotechs who can lend a helping hand if I have any questions.

Jen - If you want, I can replate a lowii seedling into a test tube and send it your way so you can try protoplast fusion with an attenboroughii (if you have an extra one). It would be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Last edited by DonH; 02-05-2013 at 01:33 AM.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pokie,
    I am very serious about getting started in TC. Much like you, I like to know my method and be fully prepared before starting anything, which is why I have been so hesitant. Having never performed TC before, there is just so much information it is hard to sort through. I think I've heard HTC broguth up enough times now that they will be my first stop.
    With that being said, I am an engineer by trade with plenty of lab, contamination, and procedural experience that I am confident in my abilities to follow any appropriate method.
    So if I would go the HTC route, would there be a special media I should request if I am mainly interested in nepnthes and possibly cephalotus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vbkid,
    If you search BigBella's numerous threads you can see that Murashige and Skoog +vitamins media and Knudsen-C orchid media will usually suffice. There is a thread specifically on TC here: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/tissue-culture.html. I can not vouch for Cephalotus as all my jars are being stratified until mid March.

If you are hesitant, you can start off with some sacrificial lambs. For instance, I purchased some Nepenthes plants in September and tossed them outside to see if they would survive my negligence. I believe Dionae started with tomato seeds at first and a Birds of Paradise before embarking on CPs.

Following an SOP is trivial, given that there exist one. I believe that to be the most problematic for most novices as any many methods are singular or secretive. God save us.... My advice would be to read through some of the TC threads and make note of salient details such as media, PGRs, temperature, lighting, and sterilization techniques. This will serve as a basis for your standard SOP.

I would stay away from baby jars. Although, they are easily procured - and often free - they build condensation which obscures the ability to see anything, contamination or cute sprouts.

DonH - I have lowii seeds too on jello. Although, no sprouts yet. I can certainly can try that cross- it would be interesting. Of course, I will have extra attenboroughii - all sprouts are on the chopping board, so to speak. Unless, someone has specifically requested a plant. I am going to wait until the leaves are a little bigger - they are one second true leaves currently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As promised, the corn kernels!

Nepenthes Glabrata
    These are my favorite so far. Short, pudgy, and very cute

Pinguicula Lusitanica
    These are not the cute cabbages anymore.....

Drosera Regia - a comparison of in vitro vs. in vivo. These germinated at the same time and are on the same growing rack. Those oscomote pellets are working wonders.

Nepenthes Truncata Lowland

Nepenthes Truncata Lowland compost control

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Jen!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast