Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: DonH's Nepenthes Pic Thread

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything pebes said in his previous post was more or less true in my situation: the plant arrived very small and without roots (they were severed in shipping), but it proved not to be an issue; planted in a pocket of live sphagnum contained within a typical Nepenthes mix; bagged for a few weeks. I actually went a step further and fertilized the plant only a few weeks after receiving it, which most people will advise against, by adding a single drop to one leaf of the plant. I figured it needed another source of nutrients in the absence of roots. After a couple of months, it was added to the same fertilization regime as my other plants: quarter strength urea-free fertilizer and coffee bi- to triweekly.

The leaves on this plant are succulent-like, so it really isn't difficult to care for (as you can tell by pebes and my rootless wonders). Just keep an eye on it, have a bit of patience, and you'll be rewarded with surprisingly impressive growth in a year or so.

Plant on arrival, April '12.

Same plant as of February '13.

N. edwardsiana aw
    Last edited by mato; 03-14-2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: change "monthly" to "weekly."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx guys most useful!

Mato youre giving too little coffee i feed my plants bi-weekly with coffee and biweekly with plain orchid fertiliser. They increase in size dramatically within two months one of my plants trippled in size in three and a half months ofcouse some plants may reduce pitcher production but thats a very small percentage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kevnep: If you are giving coffee bi-weekly and fertilizer bi-weekly, does that mean you are feeding weekly? The weakly weekly mentality, right?

I feed monthly, alternating between 1/2 strength coffee and 1/4 strength MaxSea. It's unavoidable for me to get fertilizer and coffee on the plants and tendrils so I just give the plants a quick squirt of RO water afterwards.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @kevnep: Sorry, I meant weekly (fertilizer one week, two or three weeks later coffee, ad nauseum..).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One week fertiliser one week coffee full strength not diluted not that orchid fertiliser is any potent its just a basic mix orchids dont need much so thats why its perfect for neps. By the way its not liquid but powdery granules

I have noticed no ill effects after four and a half months in fact quite the opposite plants that werent growing well are growing like monsters and even rajah decided to try and pitcher even though this has happened i would advise you to thouproughly flush every two months to prevent build up but you dont want to flush often because then the plant doesnt have enough time to absorb the nutrients.

My friend fertilised his lowii x truncata like this and within i think 8-12 months his plant went from 12 cm to 60cm or more and is still growing larger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowland truncata

This one should be bigger...

rajah

truncata x ovata

truncata x (spectabilis x northiana)

clipeata

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great plants as always, Don. And you've just reminded me what I need to add to my order: a critically endangered intermediate with peltate leaves.

By the way, what was otherwise a stunted plant, my rajah has resumed growth immediately after being repotted into more than 50% laterite. Once the newest leaf is fully formed, and if it's noticeably larger, I'll post some pics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mat: did you simply acquire that type of Laterite that is commonly sold for Aquarium purposes? If not, then what? Thank ya!

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast