What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DonH's Nepenthes Pic Thread

Thanks, mato. I have a hamata Katopasa coming in the Spring and wanted to add to my order but everything I find interesting like lamii, surigaoensis, dubia Malea, and mantalingajanensis are all "delivery time uncertain". I'll just have to wait...

I'm more or less in the same boat with those same species.

N. aristolochioides
image_zps9c49a02b.jpg

image_zpscd48d200.jpg

N. dubia
Got this one from AW in December and was surprised at how big it was at 5" tall.
image_zps3506f5a1.jpg

N. macrophylla BE clone
I dropped a piece of plexiglass and cut the growth tip clean off. Fortunately, the leaf grew out.
image_zps08d7dc35.jpg

image_zpsd90b0714.jpg

N. hamata AW clone 4
image_zps890cc441.jpg

image_zps008c67fe.jpg

N. hamata AW clone 3
image_zps3ad66f38.jpg

image_zpse76d3b2e.jpg

image_zps0c1c0f49.jpg

N. edwardsiana AW clone
image_zps4a1d331f.jpg

image_zps521c800a.jpg

image_zps0c20688f.jpg

big hamatas for AW clones. very nice..

Seems like everyone just got edwardsiana. Yours looks the best so far. Good job :)

Thumbs up, Donny.

Thanks, guys...

Seems like everyone just got edwardsiana. Yours looks the best so far. Good job :)
Thanks, Api.

Although there have been much discussion from members about getting one, I don't think they are that common. There are only 2 places that I am aware of that sells edwardsiana publicly. One sold out in less than 2 hours and the other has a 2 year+ waiting list. This considering it comes with a $200+ price tag from both sources for a small plant!

As far as looks, it's an AW clone. Members like mato and pebes have the same plant so, if they grow them under similar conditions, what you see is what they will get. It's the darkest eddie I've seen so I'm very happy with it. I'm also excited about getting a seed grown one sometime in March/April. You never know what your gonna get... :)

HOLY LEAF JUMPS, BATMAN!!!

truncata x (spectabilis x northiana)
image_zps811db79e.jpg

truncata x veitchii
image_zpsac0c7f50.jpg

robcantleyi
When I received it as a freebie:
image_zps43147df1.jpg

~3 months later
image_zpsc473999c.jpg

lowii x truncata
image_zps9a058ab1.jpg

truncata x ovata
image_zpseabaf807.jpg

Last edited:
Is this normal for N. lowii x campanulata? The pitchers alternate from a round camp-ish type of pitcher to a lowii shaped one.

image_zpsf3f4ae98.jpg

image_zps7a532972.jpg

Newest pitcher
image_zps89b98dd4.jpg

image_zps5d785fdb.jpg

The past 4 pitchers have displayed this pattern.

Is this normal for N. lowii x campanulata? The pitchers alternate from a round camp-ish type of pitcher to a lowii shaped one

The past 4 pitchers have displayed this pattern.

I don't know if this is typical behavior of the cross, but mine has certainly behaved similarly....so far. I just assumed that was normal.

Thanks, Paul. I thought it couldn't make up it's mind whether it wanted to send out uppers or lowers. ???

Do you find edwardsiana to do the similar exaggerated leaf expansion thing when unfurling a leaf like macro and villosa?

In my experience, edwardsiana has more constant growth and not the exaggerated growth spurt like you would see in a coffeed truncata hybrid. You can tell how progressive the growth is on my plant.

image_zps0a5fba43.jpg

Having said that, I've seen pics of mato's edwardsiana and it's going through a pretty significant leaf jump.

looks like it might be time to pot up a size.

Yeah... I have to order some square pots so I can repot it along with the macro and hamata.

Didn't take long for those plants to increase under your carefully oiled machine, Don. Very impressive results. And that edwardsiana just keeps getting better.

If you're considering going for square pots, I really like the selection Harry Tolen carries at Chula Orchids: http://www.chulaorchids.com/html/square__color.html
Plus, he's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, so let's give him some business! ;)

I think you misunderstood, I worded it badly :lol:, when my villosa opened a leaf it would unfurl and then expand to like twice the size as it originally was when unfurled, here are some old photos as an example.
From this
51c67087.jpg

To this
4f0ea203.jpg

And then ultimately this
62ad33ca.jpg

I'm assuming that since edwardsiana is closely related it would do the same, from my limited experience with Eddie I have found that so far the growth style is similar to that of villosa, not only that but the leaves look almost exactly like villosa's.

Oh, OK... You can see in the picture I posted that the new leaf is already fully unfurled but it will continue to grow until it's larger than the leaf before it. It still has some growing to do. I find that once the edwardsiana starts to inflate its pitchers, the leaf is pretty much at full size.

mato: Thanks for the link. I need to order some of the 5.5" square x 6" deep pots.

huh.. so it really stops only when it starts inflating?
this is mine from a day or two ago, Im hoping this leaf will be a little big bigger than the last.. or is it to early to tell?
E239DFFA-46A2-4709-851A-626D2F109A50-2391-0000031F8C3EE4ED.jpg
(pardon the sunburn :p)

Back