What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DonH's Nepenthes Pic Thread

Yes, I believe this is the common type marketed to aquarium enthusiasts: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4876

It's high quality stuff; the same type used by Andy Smith and Mark Rouse in the UK on their rajah and attenboroughiis.

Thanks for that useful info. That link was precisely what I found when I did a search for Laterite! I have a wee rajah that is in the same (live) Sphagnum it was in when shipped to me 20 months ago, and is doing nicely, but is a painfully slow grower. (Mind you, in the past four months it has doubled in size with monthly applications of MaxSea, or so that seems to be the cause) If I ought to be growing it in something other than pure Sphagnum, I will make that change promptly.

I should also mention that I decided to repot my macrophylla and villosa into the same mix, with smaller portions of laterite. That's more of an experiment to abate my curiosity, since I haven't read about anyone trying it. I'll let you guys know how they fair.

Thanks for the info, mato. I'll have to try repotting the rajah and attenboroughii seedlings in a new mix that includes laterite. My rajah is SOOOO slow - even the villosa grows faster.

If you have about 50% laterite, what makes up the rest of the mix?

Mostly perlite, sphagnum, and peat; I may have added a bit of orchid bark, too. It's worth noting that the laterite makes it quite heavy.

very nice plants Don! always looking forward to your updates.

My concern is if laterite breaks down quickly and turns to mud. Will that have any adverse effects on plants? Will that much laterite cause compaction and possible anoxic conditions?

very nice plants Don! always looking forward to your updates.
Thanks, amph! I'm doing the best I can with the iPhone.

Last edited:
Some updates of my toothy Neps...

N. villosa
image_zps29d8e895.jpg

image_zps9ab64c96.jpg

N. hamata
image_zps98d03ccd.jpg

N. macrophylla
image_zps3eb34ac2.jpg

image_zps0c748c89.jpg

image_zps6ff611d6.jpg

N. macrophylla AW clone T
image_zps9875b95d.jpg

N. macrophylla AW clone 1
image_zpsb75308b4.jpg

N. edwardsiana
image_zpsecf65f68.jpg

image_zps16a8bf93.jpg

Newest pitcher:
image_zps835fddc1.jpg

N. xTrusmadiensis AW
image_zps846d94cb.jpg

N. xTrusmadiensis BE clone 2 looks like it will start inflating its first pitcher for me.
image_zps35c2240f.jpg

That macro is getting huge. I love the hamata and eddie teeth!

Damn nice pics man. Good growing

Thanks guys.

Here are some more pics I took today...

N. khasiana
image_zpsbdb3e878.jpg

khasiana basals
image_zps769fd8ef.jpg

N. hamiguitanensis Growing very quickly.
image_zpsc3824b02.jpg

image_zpsdc0fa9b5.jpg

N. lowii x campanulata latest pitcher
image_zpscac1b3f0.jpg

N. truncata x ovata
image_zps0d0d6c7d.jpg

N. attenboroughii
image_zps99e4fb27.jpg

Some non-Nepenthes pics...

H. ceracea
image_zps3a627720.jpg

H. sarracenioides
image_zpsd527edb8.jpg

H. minor var. pilosa
image_zps19acfbb4.jpg

Last edited:
great colour on the lowii x camp

Look what came in the mail today! :boogie:

N. klossii Furry...
image_zps30fcdcce.jpg

image_zpse6a16602.jpg

image_zps721c6748.jpg

image_zps10453f5f.jpg

N. lingulata
image_zps8137e11e.jpg

image_zps55e9e41f.jpg

Not showing the characteristic "tongue" yet.
image_zps7174df01.jpg

N. northiana. Looks like any other juvi pitcher at this time.
image_zpsf27fd269.jpg

The happy family... Finally repotted the N. edwardsiana and hamatas.
image_zpsda727e2f.jpg

my lingulata isnt yet showing any tongue yet either, im very curious when it will start to show.

great new additions! and your last update is wonderfula as well. yoou helis have such beautiful color.

Great day for plants, Don!

my lingulata isnt yet showing any tongue yet either, im very curious when it will start to show.

great new additions! and your last update is wonderfula as well. yoou helis have such beautiful color.
Thanks, Myles. That's the advantage of having them in the converted freezer. I can put the Helis right up against the T5s and the temp remains below 72F.

I'm looking forward to see the tongue develop in the lingulata.

Great day for plants, Don!
It sure was! Never disappointed when opening a box from Tony. :) I'm also getting a special delivery from Rob on Thursday. Just got the confirmation #. More pics to come...

Here's the BE macro that had its growth tip cut off when a piece of plexiglass fell on it. The newest leaf is 3 times the size of the previous cut off one. Maybe the plant spent more energy on producing the new leaf instead of using it on the missing pitcher.
image_zps0a611685.jpg

The lowii x campanulata is a pitcher producing machine! Newest pitcher:
image_zps0a3892d3.jpg

A squat truncata x ovata pitcher
image_zpsb29a07d2.jpg

image_zps70f72a06.jpg

Lookin nice there don, nice size on that macro leaf!

I'm also getting a special delivery from Rob on Thursday. Just got the confirmation #. More pics to come...

I received a tracking number from him this morning, with Wednesday as a guaranteed delivery date. You are receiving the plant via Express Mail, right? Curious to see how the growth rate compares to the AW clone.

no tracking number for poor me up in mass :p haha cant wait to see both of your plants after unpacking!

Back