Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: DonH's Nepenthes Pic Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heli: LOL

It's too early to tell in that picture but, for reference, here is mine 2 weeks ago at the same stage as yours.

Now (reposted from earlier)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the photo.. if thats what turned into the unfurled leaf in the latest one then I think it will probably be a little bigger than the last one on mine.. I just cant wait for pitchers now

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M not sure how I missed this thread but wow. Love the vilosa and other teeth plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys so were getting edwardsiana from wistuba in april. How big in cm are they when you get them? What would you guys suggest to take care of it in those first crucial months? Donh how long did it take yours to get to that size?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, JB. The villosa is starting to get some size on it and picking up speed (for a villosa). I can't wait to see how the next few pitchers develop.

Quote Originally Posted by kevnep View Post
    Hey guys so were getting edwardsiana from wistuba in april. How big in cm are they when you get them? What would you guys suggest to take care of it in those first crucial months? Donh how long did it take yours to get to that size?
    Congratulations! I see Wistuba is starting to release more out to the public so the waiting list should be moving along. Im still waiting for my name to be called. I did not get mine directly from him so can't really comment on size but the ones I've seen posted online are very small. I guesstimate around 1.5 cm. mato? pebes?

I would treat it like any other plant I get from AW. Keep the humidity high for the first 2-3 months until the roots re-establish and I start to see growth. Most people use ziploc bags but I prefer punching a hole through a clear Dixie cup, inverting it over the pot and utilizing it as a mini-greenhouse. It's a lot easier to observe the condition of the plant and I just mist the inside of the cup once a day to maintain humidity.

My plant is one of the first released from AW in May 2010 so it will be 3 years out of Germany this coming May. I was fortunate enough to see it while picking up a couple of hamatas from a local CP vendor who specializes in Drosera gemmaes. I purchased it in February 2012 at around 3.5 cm. He said it didn't grow much in the first year but started to put out new leaves when it cooled down in the Winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine came in at around 1-1.5 cm. it had no roots and was so tiny that it was hard to figure out how to treat it. i put it in a small pot filled up with my usual nepenthes mix. made a small dimple in the center of the surface and placed it there. then filled in around it with live sphagnum. i've had to trim back and remove the sphagnum pretty often so the plant doesnt get completely buried. i've had it for almost a year and it only recently grew roots into the medium, i can tell this because the plant would shift around slightly every time i watered it. it doesn't seem to be very delicate for it's size though- nothing like a young hamata. it has been putting out leaves without pause all summer and winter, but only started gaining size a few months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donh pebes thanx for the answers. Do you guys fertilise it at all?

On another note my greenhouse is booming with newly vining plants many rooted cuttings have started vining again. Ive even got a maxima watutau dwarf thats starting to flower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fertilize with maxsea and coffee. if you use either on a plant that small, be sure to keep them off of a newly emerging tendril. i think the new tissue is very tender and both my eddie and rajah have had the tendril wither if they make contact with the ferts.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast