What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DonH's Nepenthes Pic Thread

heli, why must you overthink the crap out of it lol. let it grow and in a few months you will know :p

myles, dude you must not know me well if you havent already realized I overthink the crap out of stuff like this :lol:

don, smack him and he will calm down. haha

:rolleyes:

Heli: :slap: LOL

It's too early to tell in that picture but, for reference, here is mine 2 weeks ago at the same stage as yours.

image_zpse9a52700.jpg

Now (reposted from earlier)

image_zps0a5fba43.jpg

thanks for the photo.. if thats what turned into the unfurled leaf in the latest one then I think it will probably be a little bigger than the last one on mine.. I just cant wait for pitchers now :)

M not sure how I missed this thread but wow. Love the vilosa and other teeth plants.

Hey guys so were getting edwardsiana from wistuba in april. How big in cm are they when you get them? What would you guys suggest to take care of it in those first crucial months? Donh how long did it take yours to get to that size?

Thanks, JB. The villosa is starting to get some size on it and picking up speed (for a villosa). I can't wait to see how the next few pitchers develop.

Hey guys so were getting edwardsiana from wistuba in april. How big in cm are they when you get them? What would you guys suggest to take care of it in those first crucial months? Donh how long did it take yours to get to that size?

Congratulations! I see Wistuba is starting to release more out to the public so the waiting list should be moving along. Im still waiting for my name to be called. I did not get mine directly from him so can't really comment on size but the ones I've seen posted online are very small. I guesstimate around 1.5 cm. mato? pebes?

I would treat it like any other plant I get from AW. Keep the humidity high for the first 2-3 months until the roots re-establish and I start to see growth. Most people use ziploc bags but I prefer punching a hole through a clear Dixie cup, inverting it over the pot and utilizing it as a mini-greenhouse. It's a lot easier to observe the condition of the plant and I just mist the inside of the cup once a day to maintain humidity.

My plant is one of the first released from AW in May 2010 so it will be 3 years out of Germany this coming May. I was fortunate enough to see it while picking up a couple of hamatas from a local CP vendor who specializes in Drosera gemmaes. I purchased it in February 2012 at around 3.5 cm. He said it didn't grow much in the first year but started to put out new leaves when it cooled down in the Winter.

mine came in at around 1-1.5 cm. it had no roots and was so tiny that it was hard to figure out how to treat it. i put it in a small pot filled up with my usual nepenthes mix. made a small dimple in the center of the surface and placed it there. then filled in around it with live sphagnum. i've had to trim back and remove the sphagnum pretty often so the plant doesnt get completely buried. i've had it for almost a year and it only recently grew roots into the medium, i can tell this because the plant would shift around slightly every time i watered it. it doesn't seem to be very delicate for it's size though- nothing like a young hamata. it has been putting out leaves without pause all summer and winter, but only started gaining size a few months ago.

Donh pebes thanx for the answers. Do you guys fertilise it at all?

On another note my greenhouse is booming with newly vining plants many rooted cuttings have started vining again. Ive even got a maxima watutau dwarf thats starting to flower

I fertilize with maxsea and coffee. if you use either on a plant that small, be sure to keep them off of a newly emerging tendril. i think the new tissue is very tender and both my eddie and rajah have had the tendril wither if they make contact with the ferts.

Everything pebes said in his previous post was more or less true in my situation: the plant arrived very small and without roots (they were severed in shipping), but it proved not to be an issue; planted in a pocket of live sphagnum contained within a typical Nepenthes mix; bagged for a few weeks. I actually went a step further and fertilized the plant only a few weeks after receiving it, which most people will advise against, by adding a single drop to one leaf of the plant. I figured it needed another source of nutrients in the absence of roots. After a couple of months, it was added to the same fertilization regime as my other plants: quarter strength urea-free fertilizer and coffee bi- to triweekly.

The leaves on this plant are succulent-like, so it really isn't difficult to care for (as you can tell by pebes and my rootless wonders). Just keep an eye on it, have a bit of patience, and you'll be rewarded with surprisingly impressive growth in a year or so.

Plant on arrival, April '12.

IMG_4590.jpg

Same plant as of February '13.

N. edwardsiana aw

Last edited:
Thanx guys most useful!

Mato youre giving too little coffee i feed my plants bi-weekly with coffee and biweekly with plain orchid fertiliser. They increase in size dramatically within two months one of my plants trippled in size in three and a half months ofcouse some plants may reduce pitcher production but thats a very small percentage

kevnep: If you are giving coffee bi-weekly and fertilizer bi-weekly, does that mean you are feeding weekly? The weakly weekly mentality, right?

I feed monthly, alternating between 1/2 strength coffee and 1/4 strength MaxSea. It's unavoidable for me to get fertilizer and coffee on the plants and tendrils so I just give the plants a quick squirt of RO water afterwards.

@kevnep: Sorry, I meant weekly (fertilizer one week, two or three weeks later coffee, ad nauseum..).

One week fertiliser one week coffee full strength not diluted not that orchid fertiliser is any potent its just a basic mix orchids dont need much so thats why its perfect for neps. By the way its not liquid but powdery granules

I have noticed no ill effects after four and a half months in fact quite the opposite plants that werent growing well are growing like monsters and even rajah decided to try and pitcher even though this has happened i would advise you to thouproughly flush every two months to prevent build up but you dont want to flush often because then the plant doesnt have enough time to absorb the nutrients.

My friend fertilised his lowii x truncata like this and within i think 8-12 months his plant went from 12 cm to 60cm or more and is still growing larger

Lowland truncata
image_zps4c9f2a62.jpg

image_zps7f725d70.jpg

image_zpsc3090054.jpg

This one should be bigger...
image_zps244a62ae.jpg

rajah
image_zps4256244a.jpg

truncata x ovata
image_zpsababae70.jpg

image_zpsa4168e22.jpg

truncata x (spectabilis x northiana)
image_zps21d302c2.jpg

image_zpsdbe4c61c.jpg

clipeata
image_zps4d60d896.jpg

Great plants as always, Don. And you've just reminded me what I need to add to my order: a critically endangered intermediate with peltate leaves.

By the way, what was otherwise a stunted plant, my rajah has resumed growth immediately after being repotted into more than 50% laterite. Once the newest leaf is fully formed, and if it's noticeably larger, I'll post some pics.

@Mat: did you simply acquire that type of Laterite that is commonly sold for Aquarium purposes? If not, then what? Thank ya!

Back