Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowland nepenthes terrarium question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use tap water for the bottom of my tank, and for the humidity. I don't think that it will make much of a difference compared to distilled water, as long as you don't water the plants themselves with the tap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    um yess it will if you heat the water enough it will evaporate quickly enough that some of the vapor will land on your plants and leave white dust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't make any sense. It's the same process that the water cycle uses. water evaporates from the oceans, ponds, streams, etc. some of which have high salt contents, but when it rains the water is pure (other than with acid rain which is a whole other process...). This is because when the water evaporates, the salt (and other minerals) isn't carried with it. The same applies to vaporization in an aquarium, or anywhere for that matter. When you apply water with high mineral content to the plants themselves however, they are harmed by the minerals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n bicalcarata View Post
    um yess it will if you heat the water enough it will evaporate quickly enough that some of the vapor will land on your plants and leave white dust
    Yeah, that's not how it works. Evaporated water =pure water. That's how they get distilled water. Sounds like Biozest has some good experience with what you're wanting to do.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    Yeah, that's not how it works. Evaporated water =pure water. That's how they get distilled water. Sounds like Biozest has some good experience with what you're wanting to do.
    Mostly just school stuff that I learned. I guess there is a purpose...JK....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry i was thinking of humidifiers heating instead of ultrasonic like most are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No prob, but actually, ultrasonic humidifiers are more likely to do this than heating humidifiers. Read under the title: Disadvantages and Risks in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidifier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps your water quality isn't as bad as mine but the residue was visibly noticeable.....you are correct that pure water goes into the air however in a sealed terrarium the minerals that used to be in the tap water do not go into the air....i have seen it with my own eyes....... IMO with drosera it would be detrimental since their leaves can pretty much directly absorb these mineral deposit and with the neps the deposits on the plants themselves wouldn't be too detrimental for a while but the deposits would most likely accumulate in the media which has the potential to be detrimental over time......mostly just depends on the quality of your tap water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast