User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I reconsider growing N. glabrata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I reconsider growing N. glabrata.

So I ended up buying an N. glabrata on some bad research on my part. I heard it makes a good terrarium plant because of its size but after doing a thorough google search of message board discussions, it seems like a lot of people have a hard time with this plant. My terrarium is a 29 gallon tank that sits by a window. Said window receives afternoon and evening light. Right now I'm growing N. alata, ventricosa, sanguinea, singalana, hyrbids with ventricosa parentage, and one lowlander (N. ampullaria). Those plants do quite well.

I generally keep room temps between 79 and 81 during the summers and those temps don't really drop off at night during the hottest months. To make matters even worse, the terrarium gets about ten degrees warmer on sunny days. I'm thinking N. glabrata was a very poor choice. I already had one bad experience with a Heliamphora and don't want to kill off another plant. Should I consider trading this plant for something more suitable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, doesn't seem like a suitable situation for a highlander like glabrata... But if your singalana does well, then who's to say? It will do perfectly fine in ambient humidity, so you could maybe keep the temps down better by completely ditching the terrarium (after letting the plants adjust to lower humidity). I'm sure your ampularia likes the terrarium though.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the exception of N. Ventrata and my Ceph, I've had terrible luck adapting tropical pitchers to ambient indoor humidity. Maybe I wasn't patient enough with my other plants. I waited a couple of months before sticking them in the terrarium but generally, they seem to have greatly benefited from greater humidity. My N. Alata's pitchers last much longer now while everything else actually began growing.

I believe part of the problem may have to do with local humidity levels that fluctuate greatly throughout the year. I'm sure that's confusing for a lot of Neps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i doubt it will be happy in those conditions. singalana will probably decline although it likes warmer temps than the glab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant arrived today. For the time being, I'm keeping it in the terrarium next to the ventilation opening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Night temps in the 70s? Highlanders aren't going to do well for long in those conditions.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and let us know how it does. Glabrata is probably my second favorite nep. They can be fussy but I've had worse.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aside from cooler weather, the plant requires high humidity for the pitchers to develop.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast