Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for female and male nepenthes leaves for sexing experiment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have one of his hamatas but it can wait. sort of like Christmas presents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a verified female ventricosa. That's the only nep of mine that I know. PM me if you want samples.
    I've thought of doing something like this before too; if only I had the lab experience and resources. Exciting to see someone doing it!
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a splendiana female and male red leopard. Then of course a slew of unknowns.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have verified male aristolochioides, male hamata, male predator, male vent x lowii.. in short, lots of males. I would be interested in finding out the sex of my edwardsiana.

Edit: missed this "1) You must be able to validate the sex of the plant (i.e. have seen it flower. Clones from a TC "male" is not good enough)" while the plants I have mentioned havent flowered for me yet, they have all been labeled as male by the person who took the cuttings. For the hamata, all AW clones are male, the aristo clone has flowered as a male for pablo, the predator has flowered for the person who I got the cutting from, and the vent x lowii was labeled by ******* as a male plant. I hope I can still be of some help for this.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have quite a few females that have flowered for me that I'd love to give tissue for this experiment! I have a female N. Spathulata, N. thorelii X truncata X campunalata, N. Hirsuta X Tiveyi, and a female N. campotiana X ?. I also have a male N. X Aeneas which I could give tissue for. I've got a few vials I can put the tissue in with some water to keep them fresh... would this work for you? I'd love to help out with this. I only live about 5 hours south of the Bay Area so the cuts should be pretty fresh on arrival.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Initially I was looking for n=10 in the experimental group with 5 males and 5 females. The 5 controls for each sex is not necessary, just for redundancy. If those interested could list what they would like to donate as exampled below:

Female
    1. Pokie - N.Spectabilis

Male
    1. Pokie - N. Inermis

Unknown
    1. Pokie - etc..

Samples requirements
    1) A small leaf is all I require. Usually for genomic DNA isolation 100mg or less is required but I would rather have enough sample for a couple iterations than ask for another leaf down the line. This is impart due to the high phenolic compounds present in Nepenthes and I may have to do further purification before the DNA is clean enough for PCR.
    2) Young leaf - DO NOT GIVE ME THE OLDEST LEAF! Fibrous tissue will make me hate you, in essence. I would like to be able to do this with a dounce homogenize or motor and pestle + liquid nitrogen. I don't want to have to break out the big guns.
    3) Please package the leaf in some fashion so that it will be alive as possible when it arrives on my doorstep.

When the list is full, I will send everyone PMs.

Heli, I can toss your eddie into the experimental group. It would be nice to have more than one sample to perform the trnK sequenceing for eddie species ID.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Female
    1. Exo - N. smilesii

Male
    1. Exo - N. spectabilis

Unknown
    1. Exo - N.hamata, ovata
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    best means for sending the leaves would be in a folded paper towel moistened with RO-H2O, placed in a ziplock bag and that being placed in a small bubble package.

remember to properly label your specimens!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast