What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for female and male nepenthes leaves for sexing experiment

knowsomewords.gif

:p

so in layman's terms you are trying to find the coding in the DNA that determines the sex of the plant by amplifying it through cycles?

technology frightens me.... now where did i leave my tin foil helmet?

@pokie: using ePCR or traditional?

for DNA analysis will you be running the DNA through a next gen sequencer or will you be doing the good ol' DNA gel electrophoresis?

Female
1. Exo - N. smilesii
2. lance - N. Hirsuta X Tiveyi
3. lance - N. thorelii X (truncata X campunalata)
4. kpg - maxima (flowered)
5. kpg - izumiae x ventricosa (flowered)
Male
1. Exo - N. spectabilis
2.Pebes-N. aristolochioides
3.Pebes-N. talangensis
4.Heli- N. predator
5. lance- N. X Aeneas

Unknown
1. Exo - N.hamata, ovata
2. pebes- N. edwardsiana AW, N. singalana
3. Heli- Burbidgeae sg, edwardsiana sg
4. kpg - ovata sg

@pokie: using ePCR or traditional?

for DNA analysis will you be running the DNA through a next gen sequencer or will you be doing the good ol' DNA gel electrophoresis?

The PCR product will have to be cloned into a plasmid for sequencing to occur. The PCR method is using RAPD primers which are short primers that will bind multiple places in the genome. In the paper, a single primer gave this "male specific band" thus precluding sequencing off the PCR product. Cloning a PCR product can be done via a number of ways, none of which are cheap. I will probably use the Gibson assembly or one of the PCR topoisomerase plasmids from Invitrogen. Once the PCR piece has been cloned into the plasmid, the DNA insert can be sequenced directionally. We don't sequence in house. The company that I like to use probably uses the traditional Sanger method.

If there is no band to be seen, and the paper is a fluke, this will require more effort on my part as I will have to do some bioinformatics.

knowsomewords.gif

:p

so in layman's terms you are trying to find the coding in the DNA that determines the sex of the plant by amplifying it through cycles?

no she meant she needs enough DNA to make analysis meaningful, so if you send a tiny amount it will have to be replicated many times to get the minimum amount. the more times it's replicated the greater the probability that something can go wrong, thereby decreasing confidence in the results. so don't send a tiny piece of a leaf, sacrifice a whole new leaf.

Here's what I can send;

Female:
-N. khasiana
-N. alata
-N. 'Red Dragon'

Male:
-N. x mixta
-N. 'Lumpy Space Princess'
-N. maxima Dwarf Form

Unknown:
-N. lavicola SG
-N. naga SG
-N. maxima 'Lake Poso' SG
-N. veitchii SG
-N. fusca SG
-N. 'Caladium' SG
-N. 'Nile' SG
-N. 'Dormouse' SG
-N. 'Lorraine' SG
-N. ventricosa SG

Even though it appears that your needs have been met, I'll add these since two of the 'provens' are of the same species.

Male
- N. aristolochioides - flowered

Female
- N. aristolochioides - flowered

Unknown
- N. hamata - SG

Please PM me if you'd like these leaves.

The PCR product will have to be cloned into a plasmid for sequencing to occur. The PCR method is using RAPD primers which are short primers that will bind multiple places in the genome. In the paper, a single primer gave this "male specific band" thus precluding sequencing off the PCR product. Cloning a PCR product can be done via a number of ways, none of which are cheap. I will probably use the Gibson assembly or one of the PCR topoisomerase plasmids from Invitrogen. Once the PCR piece has been cloned into the plasmid, the DNA insert can be sequenced directionally. We don't sequence in house. The company that I like to use probably uses the traditional Sanger method.

If there is no band to be seen, and the paper is a fluke, this will require more effort on my part as I will have to do some bioinformatics.

sanger's method sounds definitely like a pretty penny, but it offers the best accuracy in reasonable time.

so basically, if I follow, you plan on replicating the entire genome to find that specific male sequence. would you then isolate and PCR that sequence to utilize as a future template? is it possible to create restriction enzymes that recognize that sequence so you dont have to repeat the sanger process again? i could see you utilizing that template as a standard to run against future inquiries. isolate DNA from new nep sample, run restriction enzymes, purify, PCR, then run a gel so you wouldn't need to sequence any longer to determine the sex.

14 samples already @ roughly $2400 a pop. :ohno:

sanger's method sounds definitely like a pretty penny, but it offers the best accuracy in reasonable time.

so basically, if I follow, you plan on replicating the entire genome to find that specific male sequence. would you then isolate and PCR that sequence to utilize as a future template? is it possible to create restriction enzymes that recognize that sequence so you dont have to repeat the sanger process again? i could see you utilizing that template as a standard to run against future inquiries. isolate DNA from new nep sample, run restriction enzymes, purify, PCR, then run a gel so you wouldn't need to sequence any longer to determine the sex.

14 samples already @ roughly $2400 a pop. :ohno:

No, the primer amplifies just the piece of interest. Amplifying the entire genome is not possible because the polymerase is limited by its processivity. With the most processive DNA polymerases, 6kb has been my best. No one runs gels these days. Sequencing is cheap - I don't know where you got that number from - $10/run. Each run usually gives 700-800bp of good sequence. Once one has the sequence in hand, then a unique specific assay can me made. This is like the ground work for the real assay. The chicken or the egg......

The creation of novel restriction enzymes is an entirely different matter. And in response to your earlier comment about lucerative endeavors, that is one of them. Creation of novel molecular tools entails lots of effort and usually some insight. Those are my kind of projects. This is simply a favor to a friend. I had placed this pet project on the level of weekend grocery shopping.......

I had placed this pet project on the level of weekend grocery shopping.......

that high? this seems like wipe-up-a-spill type of stuff to me...

ah. i see. $2400 a pop comes from the cost of a 1 million bp run. 700-800 pb is definitely not 1 million :rolleyes:
looking forward to your findings! thanks so much taking this on.

Im looking for a female for sexing experiment :)

My high school interns are given projects much more complicated than this. Cloning from genomic DNA is straight forward and is usually a part of the building process. Now, some times grocery shopping can get quite complicated, especially if it involves my mother....

that high? this seems like wipe-up-a-spill type of stuff to me...

Last edited:
was a joke indeed

Are you planning to use the primers that were used for cycad or papaya sex determination?

@mikewilder: Which are you referring to? I ordered the one from the paper.

There are some reagents that I am still waiting to arrive. Hopefully, they will come by next week. When it does, I will let everyone know. This way the tissue will be fresh and not sitting in liquid nitrogen.

There are still 3 unknowns available. Ron or Wireman, if you are guys are interested.

Last edited:
I see, Sudmoon et al. (I thought you were relying on a different paper.) I wish they were less ambiguous about what happens when (if?) you use this primer on smilesii. This will be interesting. If it does turn out to reliably produce a male band in all Nepenthes species, that seems like enough of an assay. Why bother with gel-excision cloning and sequencing? Just to make new primers specifically for that band?

I would like to know what the 750bp band is by running the sequence through BLAST. Of course, the sequence would allow me to design specific primers; 10mers are not good enough. I like nice clean experiments. A ladder is not exact.

Back