Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for female and male nepenthes leaves for sexing experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looking for female and male nepenthes leaves for sexing experiment

I am soliciting for leaves from known male or female Nepenthes. I promised someone female plants from my Nepenthes sprouts and I intend to keep it. This is a PCR based assay from a 2007 published paper. The techniques utilized are commonplace but the DNA was never sequenced by the researchers. I intend to replicate the protocol, clone, and then sequence the "male specific band" if there is one. I am looking for a small subset of leaves.

Stipulations
    1) You must be able to validate the sex of the plant (i.e. have seen it flower. Clones from a TC "male" is not good enough)
    2) For every verified leaf, you can send me (1) unknown of your choice which will be in the experimental group

I would prefer growers who live in the bay area. However, I am open to all, as genomic DNA is very stable.

Jen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i see a lucrative opportunity here... best of luck on your efforts Jen.
    you might want to go to the SF Conservatory of flowers to get a few samples if they allow it, multiple plants there are flowering, so you can verify the sex of the plant. sorry i have no samples for you to work with...
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have known female ventricosa, maxiama. Known male ventricosa. known female ventricosa hybrids. etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is just for fun, so to speak, as I am done with making my own PPM. This is next thing on my list of things to do. This will be done in parallel with some trnk species ID. Andreas seems to have left out Edwardsiana in his paper, so I will have to do that as well. I can always make the drive and ask Peter for some leaves from his personal collection. At least there is his cat to play with there...

Thanks for the offer Kulamauiman. I am guessing you also have some wildcard plants that you would like to know the sex of?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokie22 View Post
    This is just for fun, so to speak, as I am done with making my own PPM. This is next thing on my list of things to do. This will be done in parallel with some trnk species ID. Andreas seems to have left out Edwardsiana in his paper, so I will have to do that as well. I can always make the drive and ask Peter for some leaves from his personal collection. At least there is his cat to play with there...

Thanks for the offer Kulamauiman. I am guessing you also have some wildcard plants that you would like to know the sex of?
    dunno. most of the mature plants I bought came with known genders. Two haven't flowered but, I think I need to let them vine more for that to happen. Do ahve some oddballs but. eh. neps are not really my thing. I just grow to annoy people by saying the all look the same to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i gots a couple males. pm me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a female N.smilesii and a male N.spectabilis for you to test, and am gonna toss in a seedgrown hamata leaf and ovata leaf for sexing. PM me with your address and stuff when you have the chance.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't tell me that is one of BigBella's hamatas - that would be so ironic. I will send you the details tomorrow.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast