Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nepenthes viking help...

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see it's doing better!! I should have suggested this, but in the future (with more finicky XXL Neps) use a white garbage bag to adapt the big guys .

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, your plant looks good, the red leaves are from increased lighting, the blotching is from shipping/low humidity damage.. but all in all, the plant is looking great, the leaves ain't dead, and it's starting to grow, so you are on the right track.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone,

Here's a photo update on the viking as well as some seedlings.

Some thicker leaves with basal growth:

The first pitcher that has opened for me, with N. maxima seedlings in the background:

Soon to open pitcher:

Nepenthes izumiae seedlings:

One of the original pitchers with Drosera tokaiensis:

Thanks for the help. Comments or concerns are welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see the Viking is back in action!! From what I have observed in previous experiences with mass-basal production, your Nepenthes is probably in preparation to put out a flower. Are the leaves getting smaller? That often means that the energy is being diverted (or exhausted) somewhere (but with pitchers like that I don't think the Viking is exhausting its energy).

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey lance,

Well that would be interesting if it were to put out a flower. My assumption was that because the stem had leaned over, this was prompting the basal production. Although when I first received the plant, there were basal growths that I had covered when potting the plant, so perhaps they too are emerging. The leaves themselves are smaller than the ones produced before I received the plant, however, the newest leaves are larger than the first leaves that were produced in my care.

One more question, and I do recall seeing this in another thread, but there are small black dots/bumps on some of the leaves. Could these be nectar glands? As I've noticed drops of nectar running along the stems. My only "pests" in the tank are small fungus gnats. They are annoying, but I don't think they bother the plants, and my Drosera seem to enjoy them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avery View Post
    Hey lance,

Well that would be interesting if it were to put out a flower. My assumption was that because the stem had leaned over, this was prompting the basal production. Although when I first received the plant, there were basal growths that I had covered when potting the plant, so perhaps they too are emerging. The leaves themselves are smaller than the ones produced before I received the plant, however, the newest leaves are larger than the first leaves that were produced in my care.

One more question, and I do recall seeing this in another thread, but there are small black dots/bumps on some of the leaves. Could these be nectar glands? As I've noticed drops of nectar running along the stems. My only "pests" in the tank are small fungus gnats. They are annoying, but I don't think they bother the plants, and my Drosera seem to enjoy them.
    That could be true as well, although the growth hormones usually try to find the highest altitude on the plant to assist the vine with reaching the top of the canopy. The odd bend in the vine might be contributing to the hormone routing via. the basals.

Take a look on the other side of the leave where the black dots are. If it looks like an indent, then they are nectar glands. Mites can cause similar black dots, but it's very obvious when the entire leaf is covered with small web strings and looks like it was partially burned .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avery View Post
    Hey lance,

That could be true as well, although the growth hormones usually try to find the highest altitude on the plant to assist the vine with reaching the top of the canopy. The odd bend in the vine might be contributing to the hormone routing via. the basals.

Take a look on the other side of the leave where the black dots are. If it looks like an indent, then they are nectar glands. Mites can cause similar black dots, but it's very obvious when the entire leaf is covered with small web strings and looks like it was partially burned .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another update,

I hope these updates are alright. I think I'm getting the hang of this plant. It seems quite content in the terrarium I have for it. It's putting out many pitchers, and the newest pitcher is quite large, and has a nice round shape. I've covered the terrarium floor with sphagnum to keep the humidity high. Here are a few pictures.

This is one of the original pitchers it came with, still doing quite well:

And this is the newest pitcher developed in my care, all coloured up. You'll notice it has a much rounder shape, which indicates to me that it is doing well in the conditions I'm keeping it in:

Ok, so I have a question that's unrelated to the viking:

I have several seedlings growing, many N. izumiae, many N. maxima, a few jacquelineae, and a lone glabrata. Obviously these are all highland species, unlike the viking. While there is a temperature drop at night (the viking apparently doesn't mind), I was wondering when would it be a good idea to give the seedlings a more substantial temperature drop at night? Will they benefit from it ASAP, or will they be fine in the terrarium until they're larger? I'm sorry, I don't have day/night temperature readings available at this time, however, I do sleep with my window open, so they do get a temperature drop. Any suggestions?

These are the izumiae seedlings for a size reference. They're in a plastic egg crate:

Any input is appreciated, thanks for the ongoing help and feedback!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12