What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone,

First of all, great forum. I come here often and enjoy all the tutorials and pictures, it's very interesting and helpful.

Ok, so I'm in kind of a predicament. I bought an aquarium where I am currently keeping a couple species of Drosera seedlings, attempting to germinate some Sarracenia seeds (have been stratified), and also attempting to germinate several species of Nepenthes (izumiae germinated!!!!!!).

So, I ordered a Nepenthes viking sp., with the knowledge that it's a lowlander-intermediate species. I figured this wouldn't be a problem, seeing as how everything else in the terrarium is seedlings, and by the time it gets big enough (I was under the assumption that it was small...), I'd have something else figured out. Anyways, turns out the plant is HUGE! It is a very nice plant, but I think the shipping stressed it out. I also think it must have been hung up prior to me getting it. Basically, my concern is, I just don't know what to do with it! It's too big for the terrarium. The seller said that it likes bright, indirect sunlight. It's still cold here in Sask, Canada, but I considered hanging it in my bathroom, where it would get South facing sun and humidity from the shower.

I don't know exactly what to do here, if anyone has any advice or feedback, or experience with this plant (temperature, humidity), that would be fantastic. It's funny how I can read so much, but once I actually have the plant I start to second guess myself. I would love some feedback! What can I do?? What are my options?? Again, great forum!!

Also, if I refill the pitchers with a bit of RO water will they last longer?

Thanks,

Avery

Pictures:

image_zpsafb08a90.jpeg

image2_zps6775d0ef.jpeg

image3_zps71cb5904.jpeg

image4_zpsae3c1795.jpeg

Hi Avery,

That's a sweet looking plant! Did you get it from Keehn's or another source?

I think a south facing bathroom window would be a great place to grow this plant. Apparently Viking is a fairly resilient plant (I haven't had the pleasure of growing this one yet..)

Here's a good link:

http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/nviking.htm

According to that link this plant has papery leaves, but it may be worth adapting it to lower humidity slowly, just in case it is stressed from shipping.

Glad to see another Canadian on the forum, I'm in Ottawa at the moment. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the CP community in Canada.

Looks like that one has been growing in extremely high humidity, and is a bit wilty. I have one growing in my bedroom window that has much thicker leaves, so they can adapt, but it's not an easy transition.

Thanks Peatmoss,

I ordered the plant from Keehn's. I've had good experiences ordering seeds in the past, but apparently he's shutting down his online sales. He sent me a large plant, so I'm impressed. Thanks for the link. I've registered on a Canadian board. I'd love to do some possible trading, etc. once I get a few things going.

Exo, any advice for adapting it to lower humidity? I think it would be pretty common sense. I'm waiting for some RO water, and then I plan on giving it a good spraying, possibly covering more of the tank with more acrylic sheeting, and adding a tray of moss to the terrarium. It does look a little stressed...

Should I partially fill the pitchers with a bit of water to help preserve them?

Avery

Yeah, you can add RO water to the pitchers, it will help keep em going longer. But one thing I can tell you about growing this one as a houseplant is that it likes alot of water, so never let it dry out, it has a massive root system and will suck up water like nuts. It will also likely loose some of those older leaves, and will look a bit bad as it recovers, but this species ain't afraid to make lots of basals, so you may end up with a nice happy bush after a while. Keep it as warm as you are able, keep the soil moist, and don't put it in direct sunlight.. with leaves that thin, it will fry like bacon.

Viking (mirabilis globosa) is a plant almost every grower in this region has. I haven't heard of anyone here having real difficulty with this plant. Consider its spread within a few years, it is an easy plant similar to common mirabilis. We have it grown at 26-35C, RH > 60%. It can take full sun once established. Plants exposed to full sun produce thick and strong leaves. Make sure the soil does not dry out. The pitchers don't last very long compared to other lowlanders like bical or raff. Viking is not a large plant. Vining stem of a mature plant is about 1m. It flowers year round.

Many growers living in temperate zone reported difficulty with mirabilis. I would say viking is comparable to common mirabilis in terms of its growth needs.

Thanks for the advice. I have it in the terrarium, and it seems to be doing ok... Some of the leaves were damaged in shipping, and it was confirmed that it was growing in 95% humidity. I'm not able to match that humidity, but I'm doing what I can. The leaves have been turning a purple colour, so I assume that's due to the lighting and lower humidity. Hopefully it will adapt over time. I guess now I must be patient, as there's only so much I can do. Thanks again.

P.S. Would it be a good idea to plant it in a deeper pot? How deep do people normally plant their Nepenthes? I feel like I could almost plant it up to the top of the lowest leaves (which are dying). Does that seem like a good idea?

Alright, if anyone cares to see, here's an update on my plants. Keep in mind this is my first Nepenthes, so please forgive my ignorance. The leaves have turned colour, but all in all the plant seems to be adapting. It's starting the growth of a new leaf, and although it's cramped, it will have to do until I can acclimate it to lower humidity and brighter light.

image_zps13dc910d.jpeg

Some of the leaves were damaged in shipping. Is it fair to blame that for the blotching on the leaves?

image2_zps41d67c14.jpeg

image1_zpse432b161.jpeg

Also, my izumiae and maxima seeds have both germinated! Now I'm waiting on a few more species to hopefully do the same...

Glad to see it's doing better!! I should have suggested this, but in the future (with more finicky XXL Neps) use a white garbage bag to adapt the big guys ;).

Yeah, your plant looks good, the red leaves are from increased lighting, the blotching is from shipping/low humidity damage.. but all in all, the plant is looking great, the leaves ain't dead, and it's starting to grow, so you are on the right track.

Hey everyone,

Here's a photo update on the viking as well as some seedlings.

1_zpsc769335a.jpeg

Some thicker leaves with basal growth:
2_zpsbfed6a89.jpeg

3_zps1b0c45c4.jpeg

5_zps1c4c67e3.jpeg

The first pitcher that has opened for me, with N. maxima seedlings in the background:
6_zps66862a8f.jpeg

Soon to open pitcher:
7_zpsacc3f97c.jpeg

Nepenthes izumiae seedlings:
8_zps505513ee.jpeg

One of the original pitchers with Drosera tokaiensis:
9_zpsea1f7f8e.jpeg

Thanks for the help. Comments or concerns are welcome.

Glad to see the Viking is back in action!! From what I have observed in previous experiences with mass-basal production, your Nepenthes is probably in preparation to put out a flower. Are the leaves getting smaller? That often means that the energy is being diverted (or exhausted) somewhere (but with pitchers like that I don't think the Viking is exhausting its energy).

Hey lance,

Well that would be interesting if it were to put out a flower. My assumption was that because the stem had leaned over, this was prompting the basal production. Although when I first received the plant, there were basal growths that I had covered when potting the plant, so perhaps they too are emerging. The leaves themselves are smaller than the ones produced before I received the plant, however, the newest leaves are larger than the first leaves that were produced in my care.

One more question, and I do recall seeing this in another thread, but there are small black dots/bumps on some of the leaves. Could these be nectar glands? As I've noticed drops of nectar running along the stems. My only "pests" in the tank are small fungus gnats. They are annoying, but I don't think they bother the plants, and my Drosera seem to enjoy them.

Hey lance,

Well that would be interesting if it were to put out a flower. My assumption was that because the stem had leaned over, this was prompting the basal production. Although when I first received the plant, there were basal growths that I had covered when potting the plant, so perhaps they too are emerging. The leaves themselves are smaller than the ones produced before I received the plant, however, the newest leaves are larger than the first leaves that were produced in my care.

One more question, and I do recall seeing this in another thread, but there are small black dots/bumps on some of the leaves. Could these be nectar glands? As I've noticed drops of nectar running along the stems. My only "pests" in the tank are small fungus gnats. They are annoying, but I don't think they bother the plants, and my Drosera seem to enjoy them.

That could be true as well, although the growth hormones usually try to find the highest altitude on the plant to assist the vine with reaching the top of the canopy. The odd bend in the vine might be contributing to the hormone routing via. the basals.

Take a look on the other side of the leave where the black dots are. If it looks like an indent, then they are nectar glands. Mites can cause similar black dots, but it's very obvious when the entire leaf is covered with small web strings and looks like it was partially burned :lol: .

Hey lance,

That could be true as well, although the growth hormones usually try to find the highest altitude on the plant to assist the vine with reaching the top of the canopy. The odd bend in the vine might be contributing to the hormone routing via. the basals.

Take a look on the other side of the leave where the black dots are. If it looks like an indent, then they are nectar glands. Mites can cause similar black dots, but it's very obvious when the entire leaf is covered with small web strings and looks like it was partially burned :lol: .

Another update,

I hope these updates are alright. I think I'm getting the hang of this plant. It seems quite content in the terrarium I have for it. It's putting out many pitchers, and the newest pitcher is quite large, and has a nice round shape. I've covered the terrarium floor with sphagnum to keep the humidity high. Here are a few pictures.

image3_zpsd418fe20.jpeg

This is one of the original pitchers it came with, still doing quite well:

image2_zpsa5f36756.jpeg

And this is the newest pitcher developed in my care, all coloured up. You'll notice it has a much rounder shape, which indicates to me that it is doing well in the conditions I'm keeping it in:

image3_zps24e5e9fc.jpeg

Ok, so I have a question that's unrelated to the viking:

I have several seedlings growing, many N. izumiae, many N. maxima, a few jacquelineae, and a lone glabrata. Obviously these are all highland species, unlike the viking. While there is a temperature drop at night (the viking apparently doesn't mind), I was wondering when would it be a good idea to give the seedlings a more substantial temperature drop at night? Will they benefit from it ASAP, or will they be fine in the terrarium until they're larger? I'm sorry, I don't have day/night temperature readings available at this time, however, I do sleep with my window open, so they do get a temperature drop. Any suggestions?

These are the izumiae seedlings for a size reference. They're in a plastic egg crate:

image4_zpscf214ff7.jpeg

Any input is appreciated, thanks for the ongoing help and feedback!!!

Back