User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: quick q about rootbound neps

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    quick q about rootbound neps

    so i went to flush out my pots and noticed what i had already suspected and that is a majority of my lowlanders are rootbound. i do know they become quite disagreeable when they are rootbound but the question is how long til they start declining? Reason i ask is i plan on getting a gh in 3-4 weeks and was hoping to 'let it ride' in the interim or should i make concessions to remedy the problem now? problem is my terrarium is at 90% capacity so i would need to expand it which is generally a hassle that would be taken care of anyway in 3-4 weeks....

    thoughts?

    symptoms....slowed growth, wavy leaves and a black spot or 2 to give an idea of the status of the root lock.

  2. #2
    Tony Paroubek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Far Away NY
    Posts
    4,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpbobby View Post
    so i went to flush out my pots and noticed what i had already suspected and that is a majority of my lowlanders are rootbound. i do know they become quite disagreeable when they are rootbound but the question is how long til they start declining? Reason i ask is i plan on getting a gh in 3-4 weeks and was hoping to 'let it ride' in the interim or should i make concessions to remedy the problem now? problem is my terrarium is at 90% capacity so i would need to expand it which is generally a hassle that would be taken care of anyway in 3-4 weeks....

    thoughts?

    symptoms....slowed growth, wavy leaves and a black spot or 2 to give an idea of the status of the root lock.
    Hmm "thoughts?" yes, caps are your friend. As far as your plants go, as they say, photos are worth a thousand words. I have seen a perfectly healthy 24" N. bicalcarata in a 3" square pot so I am not sure where this notion they become "disagreeable" when root bound came from. Maybe you have other root problems but it's not being root bound.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, was too lazy to capitalize. The notion was from hearsay but I guess the info was not correct. Hmm in light of your thoughts it was probably from when I had to clean the terrarium and needed to take the neps out. was a little chilly and dry for them that day I am sure. I will keep an eye on them but I am certain it is nothing they cannot recover from. Based off your advice I will just wait on the gh(which should be here any day now).

    I will get a pic regardless.

    Off subject, you wouldn't happen to know where I could find a n.sumatrana?

    Thx tony

  4. #4
    tzestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mostly lowlanders. I don't see significant decline when neps are rootbound.

    Usually, I repot to larger pot when the transpiration rate is faster than I can re-hydrate the plant. I water large plants once a day. To defer repot, I even have large plant with water tray. It is time to repot when both the tray and the medium turn dry in between watering.

    These are photos of large bical and ampullaria when I was forced to give them larger pot..

    Bicalcarata:



    Ampullaria:


  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good grief!

    appreciate the advice.

    those are some nice looking plants tho.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your ampullaria standing upright on its own?! That's amazing!

  7. #7
    tzestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avery View Post
    Is your ampullaria standing upright on its own?! That's amazing!
    Ampullaria has thick stem. It can support its vine's weight, but not standing upright.
    It rested against the wall while I took the photo. Definitely would snap if fell down...

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tzestan View Post
    Ampullaria has thick stem. It can support its vine's weight, but not standing upright.
    It rested against the wall while I took the photo. Definitely would snap if fell down...
    Ah yes, that makes sense. Sorry, I'm new here...
    Last edited by Avery; 09-30-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •