What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick q about rootbound neps

so i went to flush out my pots and noticed what i had already suspected and that is a majority of my lowlanders are rootbound. i do know they become quite disagreeable when they are rootbound but the question is how long til they start declining? Reason i ask is i plan on getting a gh in 3-4 weeks and was hoping to 'let it ride' in the interim or should i make concessions to remedy the problem now? problem is my terrarium is at 90% capacity so i would need to expand it which is generally a hassle that would be taken care of anyway in 3-4 weeks....

thoughts?

symptoms....slowed growth, wavy leaves and a black spot or 2 to give an idea of the status of the root lock.

so i went to flush out my pots and noticed what i had already suspected and that is a majority of my lowlanders are rootbound. i do know they become quite disagreeable when they are rootbound but the question is how long til they start declining? Reason i ask is i plan on getting a gh in 3-4 weeks and was hoping to 'let it ride' in the interim or should i make concessions to remedy the problem now? problem is my terrarium is at 90% capacity so i would need to expand it which is generally a hassle that would be taken care of anyway in 3-4 weeks....

thoughts?

symptoms....slowed growth, wavy leaves and a black spot or 2 to give an idea of the status of the root lock.

Hmm "thoughts?" yes, caps are your friend. As far as your plants go, as they say, photos are worth a thousand words. I have seen a perfectly healthy 24" N. bicalcarata in a 3" square pot so I am not sure where this notion they become "disagreeable" when root bound came from. Maybe you have other root problems but it's not being root bound.

Eh, was too lazy to capitalize. The notion was from hearsay but I guess the info was not correct. Hmm in light of your thoughts it was probably from when I had to clean the terrarium and needed to take the neps out. was a little chilly and dry for them that day I am sure. I will keep an eye on them but I am certain it is nothing they cannot recover from. Based off your advice I will just wait on the gh(which should be here any day now).

I will get a pic regardless.

Off subject, you wouldn't happen to know where I could find a n.sumatrana?

Thx tony

I grow mostly lowlanders. I don't see significant decline when neps are rootbound.

Usually, I repot to larger pot when the transpiration rate is faster than I can re-hydrate the plant. I water large plants once a day. To defer repot, I even have large plant with water tray. It is time to repot when both the tray and the medium turn dry in between watering.

These are photos of large bical and ampullaria when I was forced to give them larger pot..:)

Bicalcarata:
BCal190512_zps3369e7bf.jpg

BCalRoot_190512_zps5cdf99ac.jpg

Ampullaria:
AmpPre_311211_zpsc394e5dd.jpg

AmpRoot_311211_zps72eb1f57.jpg

good grief!

appreciate the advice.

those are some nice looking plants tho.

Is your ampullaria standing upright on its own?! That's amazing!

Is your ampullaria standing upright on its own?! That's amazing!

Ampullaria has thick stem. It can support its vine's weight, but not standing upright.
It rested against the wall while I took the photo. Definitely would snap if fell down...:)

Ampullaria has thick stem. It can support its vine's weight, but not standing upright.
It rested against the wall while I took the photo. Definitely would snap if fell down...:)

Ah yes, that makes sense. Sorry, I'm new here... ???

Last edited:
Back