Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes hamata

The newest pitcher is opening and grinning wide.
    04/07/2013
    The tiny seedling in the pot to the left in back is a N. aristochioides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bid $100!

Joking, nice plant though. Congrats with the aristo germination.
    Gettin there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beautiful lil hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, anyone know what the moss covering the surface is called and if there is a way to seed my seedlings soil surface with it? It would help to keep the algae in check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As annoying as algae can be you probably want to avoid that moss. It will compete for resources with your seedlings and can form dense mats which prevent water from reaching your plants roots as effectively. Not saying its a death sentence and plants can grow fine with it but I see no real benefit myself unless its live sphagnum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    Thanks, anyone know what the moss covering the surface is called and if there is a way to seed my seedlings soil surface with it? It would help to keep the algae in check.
    It is the accused Polytrichum, the common haircap moss -- the scourge of seedling pots everywhere. I am constantly removing mats of it . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be a bit careful with that moss. I personally think its not polytricum. Neps don't mind polytricum as long as it chokes it. Even then actually, my jamban seedlings (RIP) loved it. It created a nice microclimate. But this is the dreaded sheet moss..not sure of the species. polytricum has a more rigid almost tough coconut fiber like structure to it. Best way to tell...polytricum has one amazing adaptation...when it is dry...the moss actually closes up and the leaves are tightly packed to the stem. Mist it with water and it dramatically opens up in seconds. Even dead moss goes through this transformation.

Also, make sure your leaves don't get smaller. My hamata died going through that transformation. Its a sign the roots are not getting enough oxygen/free flowing water.... I don't know...but the plant grows, pitchers, but keeps getting smaller until it just declines slowly. I grew my hamata best when it was planted in live growing sphagnum moss. It loved the live moss and didn't even bother putting any roots in the media underneath (dead sphagnum, bark, charcoal mix).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I would be a bit careful with that moss. I personally think its not polytricum.
    There are over seventy species of Polytrichum, which vary a bit in appearance and texture; and the moss can quickly overtake seedlings. . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast