Thread: read it and weep!

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 13yroldexpert View Post
    i also bought 20 nepenthes jacquelineae from more buyfromthuishop
    If you're going to buy seeds on eBay (which you shouldn't) you should buy pods, which will contain around 50 seed each. You'll be lucky to get a few out of 20 seeds with no experience prior if they're fresh. I sowed about 30 N. attenboroughii seeds a few months back and I only got about 6 to live and make carnivorous leaves. They were very fresh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 13yroldexpert View Post
    i also bought 20 nepenthes jacquelineae from more buyfromthuishop
    This is one of the alternate accounts for the same merchant. Not only are you supporting the unregulated harvesting of seeds from threatened species, you are paying someone to make you into a smuggler, while supplying you with seeds that have likely been stored for weeks/months under less than ideal conditions. (Lots of non-viable seeds)

If all you want to do is try your hand at raising Nepenthes from seeds, I can supply you with very fresh hybrid seed at no cost to you, that will result in dozens of healthy seedlings that will be easy to grow. (Unlike demanding species like N. jacquelineae) If you do not have experience growing Nepenthes from seed, then it would be better if you gained experience with non-critical seed donations from a US grower, rather than buying seed of threatened species obtained by questionable methods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good on you Paul,i would take Paul up on that if i were you

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also agree with take Paul up on the offer, and maybe at least give some time to the thought of the harm you are doing by ordering from said retailer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    This is one of the alternate accounts for the same merchant. Not only are you supporting the unregulated harvesting of seeds from threatened species, you are paying someone to make you into a smuggler, while supplying you with seeds that have likely been stored for weeks/months under less than ideal conditions. (Lots of non-viable seeds)

If all you want to do is try your hand at raising Nepenthes from seeds, I can supply you with very fresh hybrid seed at no cost to you, that will result in dozens of healthy seedlings that will be easy to grow. (Unlike demanding species like N. jacquelineae) If you do not have experience growing Nepenthes from seed, then it would be better if you gained experience with non-critical seed donations from a US grower, rather than buying seed of threatened species obtained by questionable methods.
    concur. I try to make ventricosa and ventricosa hybrid seeds freely available here so that people trying their hands for the first time can get freshly harvested easy to grow seeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know, I find it hilarious that many people would turn their nose up at seeds from ebay based on ethical dillemas such as poaching, yet, wouldn't think twice about buying a seedgrown plant that came from such seeds. I see this happen every time, someone mentions getting some obviously wild collected seeds, and everyone mounts up on their high horses and chastises em. Yet, many have no problem with buying seedgrown Neps that obviously came from smuggled seeds...not sure how that makes em feel any better, but it seems to. Just wanna point out about throwing stones in glass houses, it's getting old.

The point about it being illegal to get them to the US in the mail is true though, so if you insist on getting em from Ebay, be aware of it. Seeds are typically just destroyed, but if the gooberment is feeling particularly nasty, they can fine you through the nose if they so choose.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Exo said!

And you can run afoul of three regulating agencies - Department of Homeland Security (Customs - smuggling), Department of Agriculture (Plant Protection Quarantine) and Fish and Wildlife Services (CITES-ESA violations). Any one or all could seek penalties (fines and or imprisonment).
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely agree with Exo about throwing stones, but I would like to point out something I feel pertinent to this discussion.
    - I think it is definitely the responsibility of the buyer to make sure they are buying legal plants/seeds. In this ebay case, it is EASY to see that not only is it illegal to import them without permits but there is a very likely chance they were illegally collected as well.
    - With seedgrown plants, it can be entirely hazy whether or not their original source was legal. While blind ignorance isn't an excuse, honest ignorance of not knowing one way or the other isn't necessarily a reason to not buy a plant when you have no way of uncovering the truth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast