What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I'm receiving 500+ ventricosa seeds and a few other hybrid seeds (ventricosa x ephippiata and maybe another, I forget). I've gotten Nepenthes seeds to germinate before and I have learned quite a bit from that. I had a few misc. questions...

1. About how many seeds can I sow per square inch safely? I have four 4" square pots (64 square inches), three 3" square pots (27 square inches) and six 3" circular pots (42 square inches). Do I need more?

2. Would it be wise to sow some in pots in my greenhouse? Around 60% humidity in the day, 70% range in the evenings and 90% at night. It's controlled at 72-82F during the day and 54F at night. About 3 hours of direct sunlight a day, the rest of the day is shade, and it is always under 50% shade cloth. Has anyone sown Nepenthes seeds in their greenhouse before? Can you share your experience?

3. I germinated my N. attenboroughii seeds in a terrarium in 4" square pots sitting in 1.5 inches of water. I'm not sure if that is the best method... It definitely worked, but I've seen many people have seed germination chambers that look kinda like big flat containers with a clear dome top. Where can I get one of those on short notice? How much are they? Are there any other methods I could try with the pots I have and a terrarium?

Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated! ^_^

1. I plant about 4 per square inch.

2. I don't own a greenhouse, but with cool night temps, the seeds take longer to germinate. night temps in the 60s or 70's are better.

3. Covered seed flats can be found from most gardening companies, Try Jung seeds, they carry them for reasonable prices.

Just to add to #3, these are at the Home Depots and Lowe's near me at least, I know it can vary by location, in with the veggie and flower seed packet section. You really don't need to spend money on something fancy. I personally just used a clear plastic container from a supermarket bakery to germinate seeds. It was the perfect depth and pretty sturdy, (was also fun eating brownies to empty it,) just poked a few holes top and bottom.

4 inch pot in gallon sized zip loc baggie.

When dealing with 100+ seeds, I like to use a dome structure like this: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/xl-high-dome-propagator/heat-mats-chambers . It really saves extra pots and gives a nice humid environment for the Nep seedlings that they enjoy. With 15 X 22in, you get 330 square inches of space which should be plenty of room for adding est. 2 per inch. Make sure to spray the seeds with a proper fungicide as contact with hands can increase the chances of mold.

Back