What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill neps

Hi all :). I'm new to cp's but I've got the bug and am looking to expand my collection. I don't have any heating/lighting equipment but I DO have a lot of south facing windows. Any suggestions for fantastic looking windowsillers?

I grow a ton of nepenthes by my windows and have amazing looking plants that grow year around like this. for many years I have been doing this.
Start off with a common plant or even a hybird, so you can see the likes and dislike. Try: N.khasiana, N.ventricosa N.alata N.sanguinea, N.maxima, N.ventrata is most likely what most will tell you to grow and to start off with. You can even mist the plants once a day if you wanted to.. No need to over kill, but I don't even do that. I over head watering them all once a week. Hope I answered the question.

EC

I grow n. sanguinea, n. ventricosa, n. ventricosa red x n. ventricosa hot lips, n. gracilima (alba?), n. reinwardtiana, and n. glabrata x n./ spatulata in windowsill. mostly south facing but some east facing haha
all grow just fine, the questionable gracilima being the slowest with the least pitchers. reinwardtiana and ventricosa grow real strong.
none are exceptional, imo.

I'm a windowsill fan as well :) My plants are on southwest, southeast and northwest windows. I don't use additional lighting. They pitcher on all sides, but northwest window has greener leaves and fewer pitchers.
In spring I take them out to the balcony and they stay there until the end of October.

These make pitchers all year (order according to speed and number of pitchers):

1. N. Veitchii (lowland) ---- southwest and southeast window
2. N. Truncata x Ventricosa ---- southwest
3. N. Truncata x Veitchii ---- southwest
4. N. Maxima x Trusmadiensis (2 clones. Other one doesn't do anything) ---- southeast
5. N. Albomarginata, Red ---- northwest
6. N. Smilesii ---- southwest

These guys stop pitchering in winter but they keep growing:

1. N. Maxima 'Tentena' ---- southeast (odd pitcher now and then)
2. N. Miranda ---- southeast, southwest, northwest (odd pitcher now and then)
3. N. Ventrata ---- southeast
4. N. Rafflesiana ---- southeast and southwest
5. N. Hirsuta ---- northwest
6. N. Truncata (highland) (This one is new, still adapting) ---- southwest

Fastest plants (both pitcher and leaf) in spring/summer:

1. N. Ventrata, N. Maxima 'Tentena', N. Miranda, N. Veitchii (lowland), N. Truncata x Ventricosa, N. Truncata x Veitchii, N. Rafflesiana, N. Hirsuta.

These guys didn't make it:

1. N. Khasiana
2. N. Reinwardtiana

One thing I can recommend as a windowsill grower is to pick a place for your plant and never move it again. Even when you move a plant from southwest to southeast, they halt for a while. Also don't be discouraged when a plant seems frozen in time. As long as the leaves and pitchers remain healthy, it means it's going to adjust. It took my Truncata x Veitchii about 6 months to adapt, I almost gave up and put it in a terrarium. After 6 months it started pitchering and now it never stops.
Also I think the most important thing initially is keeping them covered. You cut open the bag a little every day for a month or two. This is the smoothest way to help them adjust.

As a general observation, I find the soft-leaf species have the hardest time adapting. Most of them don't make it. If the plant has thick leaves and is hairy, it's usually fine in low humidity.

Wow thanks for all the suggestions folks!! This is a great list and I can't wait to spend some time lookin through this list for my next nepenthes acquisition :). I've been particularly enamored of ventricosa lately, I'm glad to see it here on this list. I just love those big tubby pitchers!

What can grow on your windowsill is highly dependent on your local conditions. I can grow a wide range of highlanders on my windowsill like these:
318271_10100271633002198_1095199572_n.jpg

That hamata is throwing out some 6-7inch pitchers now...

But I can't grow any lowlanders since it gets too cold. They do GREAT during the summer, but I always lose them during the winter.

I would first look up your local conditions, decide whether highlands or lowlands are for you. Start with some easier ones and work your way up.

Back