What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Periflare - The Peristome Flaring Device

It's plain old ventricosa :)

Now I see how the picture is relevant lol... The pitcher is stretched out a lot. How did you do that? I tried making a thin waistline on a ventrata pitcher and it got a tiny holy in it.. I know there has to be a better way to do it. Perhaps a thin thread around the pitcher would be best? And how did you make the pitcher elongated? Did you use a bottle or something?

:scratch: i dont think he did anything to the pitcher other than not notice the one inflating in another until it was too late to take action.

:scratch: i dont think he did anything to the pitcher other than not notice the one inflating in another until it was too late to take action.

Oh... But it wouldn't stretch the pitcher it was growing in if it was already opened...?

Now I see how the picture is relevant lol... The pitcher is stretched out a lot. How did you do that? I tried making a thin waistline on a ventrata pitcher and it got a tiny holy in it.. I know there has to be a better way to do it. Perhaps a thin thread around the pitcher would be best? And how did you make the pitcher elongated? Did you use a bottle or something?

Perhaps you didn't read my comment about how it happened: it was an accident -it happened by sheer chance. A tendril descended into a mature pitcher and the new pitcher grew inside the older one. It's not uncommon with plants that make a lot of pitchers. I didn't do anything other than discover it.

Did anything ever come of this? IMO it's a fascinating idea. While some may call it pointless mutilation it's better than this...

Did anything ever come of this? IMO it's a fascinating idea. While some may call it pointless mutilation it's better than this...

I wish... I kinda just gave up. I didn't forget, though. I still would like to do this somehow.

I really would like to have one of those glow-in-the-dark ones... I read they are a hoax though. :(

lol wow. just wow :lol:

this is going down the route of square watermelons haha the plants grow how they have evolved to grow. and that is where their beauty rests imo. imma have to start a nepenthes rights group or just kill pineapple :awesome:

Surely square potatoes would be better, nice flat ends to the fries.

I think that peristome flaring might work out, but I'm skeptical about modifying the shape of the pitcher itself. What you see done with fruits is a bit different- a plant will put a lot of energy into it's fruits because it needs them to pass along it's genes, (which is why you get things like this). With the pitchers, though, once the plant senses that something isn't right with the growing environment, it might just stay small enough to fit in the container, or abort all together. I bet you could get a big pitcher into a wine bottle or something by letting it grow and develop in there, but I really doubt you'd be able to get a wine bottle shaped Nepenthes pitcher.

I was thinking of something really simple, just a couple sheets of thin plastic cut to shape. I was originally going to suggest cardboard, but come to think of it, cardboard wouldn't fare too well in a growing environment. Just cut two somewhat matching pieces of plastic, fit them to the pitcher, and tape the edges together. Do allow some space inside for the pitcher to inflate some more if it wants to.

For shaped pitchers, just remember that the modified trap might be a little stressed and brittle. I wouldn't suggest a mold that has to be cut off. Pre-cut it first, and then tape it or attach it is some other easy-to-adjust-and-remove method.

I had this idea a few months back. If I ever had a big enough and vigorous enough Nepenthes to try it with I would love to make a super eclectic art exhibit out of it. I was thinking that using a series of paper clips that are meticulously adjusted throughout the growth of the pitcher could result in some truly unique and bizarre pitcher shapes. Of course there is the possibility that it could also just go horribly wrong. LOL!

I was thinking of something really simple, just a couple sheets of thin plastic cut to shape. I was originally going to suggest cardboard, but come to think of it, cardboard wouldn't fare too well in a growing environment. Just cut two somewhat matching pieces of plastic, fit them to the pitcher, and tape the edges together. Do allow some space inside for the pitcher to inflate some more if it wants to.

For shaped pitchers, just remember that the modified trap might be a little stressed and brittle. I wouldn't suggest a mold that has to be cut off. Pre-cut it first, and then tape it or attach it is some other easy-to-adjust-and-remove method.

I may do that... I'd have to keep making news ones for every pitcher though. I wish there was something expandable/retractable that would grip around the pitcher.

Much easier said than done. It's probably better to keep cutting up plastic water bottles.

Back