Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Lowland Nepenthes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    campanulata is relatively small as well.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if I could keep highlanders. Don't they need a lot of light? My house gets virtually no light. The forest behind us blocks almost all the light. And campanulata is really nice! When I move out, I'll probably try to buy an enormous terrarium. Too bad they don't make any super-tall terrariums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do make super tall terrariums, and you can also get custom ones, although for HLers you really don't need them. Some of them really don't need that much light at all either. I grow some under lights in my closet and I just use a $40 light set up that I got a home depot. If you want to go all out with a nice 4 bulb T5 system for your plants, it's only really going to run you about $75 if you look in the right place. But I'd really recommend highlanders. They're much easier in my opinion, and are also so much cooler and better looking. I'd start out with a species like sanguinea that is super pretty, but also very easy to grow in household conditions. The main thing with Hlers is that they appreciate about a 20 degree temperature drop at night. For the ones that I grow in my room, I just open the window at night and my room cools from about 70-75 to 55-60 degrees and my plants are all super happy. Hope this helps!
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll have to do some investigating with high landers! I've never really read into them at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. bicalcarata gets 8 feet wide, not small at all. Highlanders will be the easiest to grow in Canada. There are plenty of little ones that will work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll have to start researching them! Also, can't I train larger species to remain small? I know how to keep healthy bonsais and keep them small. I know bonsai techniques can also be used on vines, so in theory, wouldn't that work with lowland Nepenthes?
    Last edited by Teddscau; 05-09-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also have to remember nepenthes are for all intensive purposes high light plants. There are exceptions but I know a grower who stresses full sun. But I grow under 50% shade cloth for temp purposes. If your windows don't he much light you may need suplimental lighting. But this can be pretty cheap honestly. My terrarium is a 50 gallon long and I have two twin t-8 lights on top. One is over driven and the other is not. Both have daylight bulbs and my bical is nice and red and there are red leaves on another plant in there. Of course my bical is touching the sides and will be moved out once my second GH is finished and I have my current GH concerted to LL.

Gracilis would be another one worth looking into. They all can be topped and rooted causing the plant to bush. Jeep that in mind too.

But yeah bicals are an ultra LL plant. Like it hot and wet. One of the fastest and larger growing neps. Merriliana is bigger but I don't think as fast a growing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish bicalcarata didn't grow so big. I'm definitely not going to be buying a greenhouse any time soon :P. And what do you mean by "topped"? Thanks. Oh, and if I bought a 200g tank, would that be a reasonable size for lowland Nepenthes?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12