Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping attenboroughii seedlings alive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keeping attenboroughii seedlings alive

hey guys so four weeks ago i received attenboroughii seeds from cz and one week ago they started germinating. Now currently 17 of 23 seeds have germinated and i want to know from those who have experience growing this species from seeds how do i keep it alive and growing well and how do i minimize death rates?

The form is from mt victoria, can anyone give me more information about that population?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My primary suggestion is to water them from below -- say, in a tray ad offer a mid temperature drop at night. Getting the crowns if the seedlings overly wet, can cause problems. Nepenthes seedlings are especially prone to damping off and other fungal diseases . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes plants don't like as much water or light as other carnivorous plants. And they constantly require high humidity. I sure hope that your plants have at LEAST 60% humidity. Nepenthes plants are native to rainforests and can tolerate 100% humidity. As for light, give it diffused light or just give it less light.

NOTE: If you grow your Nepenthes in a greenhouse or terrarium, make sure it doesn't overheat when it gets in the sun!

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you got germination! I have observed that Attens will grow incredibly faster with a heat mat under the seedling tray. However, this may just be due to the intermediate conditions that the heat mat is simulating. One tip I received about Atten seedlings is to begin transplanting then when they put out their 3rd leaves so they are large enough to keep death rates at a minimum.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx guys. I do not grow them in the gh because winter temps might kill them. They are grown indoors in a tank. I planted them on boiled sphagnum peat which really helped to kill off mould. They are sown in a big tray covered with plastic so humidity is very high they are standing in water

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes don't like sitting in water. They don't need as much as other carnivorous plants. Just top water it each day. You can keep a little water in the tray for humidity purposes. It looks like you're on the right track!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    Nepenthes don't like sitting in water. They don't need as much as other carnivorous plants. Just top water it each day. You can keep a little water in the tray for humidity purposes. It looks like you're on the right track!
    I have grown all of my Nepenthes in shallow trays from day one, without any issue or loss. It mainly depends upon the type of compost, in my opinion . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I use the tray method, albeit only in very shallow trays as BigBella said, for almost all of my neps too, especially young seedlings. I've found that, especially if your neps are growing in live sphagnum, sitting them in some water really helps keep the sphagnum from drying out as quickly. With no harm done, at least in my case, to the neps.

Edit: Oh, and congrats on the germination kev, keep us posted with your progress.
    Last edited by Iwest; 05-12-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast