Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Nepenthes

Hey guys,

I received my first tropical pitcher plant, a Nepenthes petiolata, last Thursday. Because I am a total newbie to these plants, I want to make sure my growing conditions are suitable.

The conditions:
    I am growing the plant without a terrarium on a shelf in my room because I have read on numerous occasions that a terrarium is not necessary. I mist it two to three times a day with distilled water to maintain moderate humidity levels.

The temperature is around 75 to 80 degrees with 60 degree nights. Occasional heat spikes reach the high eighties.

The lighting I am using is mounted two inches above the plant. It is an 18" bulb with an unknown Kelvin rating.

So, I am pretty sure the lighting is mounted too close to the plant and it can be adjusted without much trouble. Is it?

Also I know the actual lighting needs to be replaced. I will add an additional fixture. I am planning on using a pair of 18" bulbs with a 6500 Kelvin rating. Does this lighting plan sound suitable?

Pictures coming in a couple hours.

Thanks,
    Kenny

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've grown this species and it seems rather easy to me. Your conditions should be just fine for it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice species to start your Nepenthes collection with! Your lighting plans are suitable, Nepenthes aren't as light hungry as other CPs. I've used a 2' 2 tube T5HO about 2' away from a small Nep collection and they all did very well. If you want them to burst with deep colors then you could go for the stronger lighting.

And welcome to the forums!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice! I was surprised when I found this plant because I understand its not one of the most abundant

Sorry about the lack of pictures. I need to figure out how to upload them ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

In order to post pics you will need a photo bucket account or some other image hosting service. Then you use the IMG hashes. There is an IMG insert button under the advance post screen. I prefer photobucket because its screen has the IMG hash tags already setup for forum posting. Just click then past. There is even an android and iphone app for the service. Its free to a point. I've been using for years and many many pictures and only at 19% capacity. Sounds more complicated than it is. But its the only way to post pictures because the forum doesn't host pictures to my knowledge. There is a gallery area but I'm not familiar with it

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You purchased a Nepenthes? Wonderful! It sounds like you're on the right track and your plant should love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Welcome!

In order to post pics you will need a photo bucket account or some other image hosting service. Then you use the IMG hashes. There is an IMG insert button under the advance post screen. I prefer photobucket because its screen has the IMG hash tags already setup for forum posting. Just click then past. There is even an android and iphone app for the service. Its free to a point. I've been using for years and many many pictures and only at 19% capacity. Sounds more complicated than it is. But its the only way to post pictures because the forum doesn't host pictures to my knowledge. There is a gallery area but I'm not familiar with it
    Thanks!

Here are some pictures of my plants currently.

I did some research and the light I have been using has a color rating index of 91 and 4000 Kelvin.

All feedback is welcome!
    Kenny
    Last edited by EntHerptology; 05-23-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kenny I use two banks of two lights over my terrarium. They are t-8 bulbs. One is over driven and the other is not. I use the daylight bulbs and my plants have great color. My bical is red other plants have red leaves. I use and 18 hour photo period.

And that is a 50 gallon long tank with lights on top.not as close as yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast