Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prematurely popping pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prematurely popping pitchers

So, as the title suggests, I've been noticing a few pitchers on what should be pretty forgiving plants ( densiflora x ventricosa in particular) have been opening too early. My plants grow in 80-90% humidity 75degree days, 50 degree nights, on a 16 hour photoperiod. Part of me thinks maybe the photoperiod is too long but I wanted to get some opinions. It's frustrating to watch a new pitcher for weeks only to have it pop before its fully developed!! Any help would be appreciated.
    - All existence kneels before beauty when it is both flawless and fierce -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are they getting enough water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They definitely get enough water. I baby the hell out of these plants. They're misted several times a day and watered thoroughly every other day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it might be the photoperiod. I haven't seen neps on anything longer than 14. Maybe put it to 12/12?
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm thinking that's it too. They get pretty intense light and maybe I'm pushing them too hard. Ill lower it by an hour a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is very interesting... ime i get premature pops when the humidity is too low or when the plant needs more water, seems like those bases are covered though.

are you growing them in a terra? i've had experiences where lower levels of the tank were not the same as higher areas.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are in a terrarium but I have eggcrate elevated pretty close to the lights so everyone gets the same amount. I just added a new 2 lamp t5 fixture as I begin upgrading my lighting, so now they're under 4 t8s and 2 t5s.

Does anyone else use a 16hr photoperiod successfully? The only thing I can think is that it's too long for neps and that maybe I'm pushing them too hard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionysos86 View Post
    Does anyone else use a 16hr photoperiod successfully? The only thing I can think is that it's too long for neps and that maybe I'm pushing them too hard.
    I do. Mine are under t8's and cfl's. I run them approx 15.5-16.5 hours a day. No complaints from the plants. For a few months I ran them even longer, also no complaints from the plants.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast