What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. singalana belirang and N. izumiae

Was just wondering - is Nepenthes singalana belirang a specific clone of N. singalana or is it a form of the species with many different clones? And N. izumiae - I've seen some really fantastic plants around, and I've seen some that were just OK. Can anyone tell me more about the different clones of these plants?

All I know is I've got 80 something new clones of izumiae from seeds. We'll see the differences in 2 or 3 years. :D

We're Gonna Need a Bigger GH!!! reminiscent of JAWS.

Was just wondering - is Nepenthes singalana belirang a specific clone of N. singalana or is it a form of the species with many different clones?
Belirang is shorthand for Mt. Belirang, Jambi in Southwest Sumatra - so plants labeled "Belirang" originally come from this area.

As for the 2nd part of your N. singalana question - every time a Nepenthes seed germinates, a new unique, specific clone is created. This potential for visible variability (as well as the potential for a female plant) are why some people prefer to get SG plants (it's like a mini-lottery).

I've had discussions with a few individuals who feel the Belirang form of singalana that BE offers is actually something else, whether a hybrid or another species. The morphological description of the species is vague, so it isn't surprising that reclassification hasn't been attempted.

when you see names like that at the end of nepenthes they are just locations where that form was collected nothing more, btw here's a pic of my BE singalana
singalana.jpg

when you see names like that at the end of nepenthes they are just locations where that form was collected nothing more...

Exactly. A name like Nepenthes fusca "Mamut" would mean that that specific form was collected near the (now disused) Mamut copper mine.

In this case, it is widely believed that the two distinct selections from Tujah and Belirang are actually different species. Time will tell.

Back