Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Nepenthes setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i didnt mean to sound rude or anything... i was restating just to make sure i understood what you were saying correctly. so Lowlanders from now on?? i could attempt a trade for my glabrata i guess... definately dont want to see him take a turn for the worse

the ventricosa and Judith Finn have put off new leaves and pitchers regularly, so i think they've already adapted.

thanks for the info Whim!!!!!

Happy growing,
    Austin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gexx View Post
    i didnt mean to sound rude or anything... i was restating just to make sure i understood what you were saying correctly. so Lowlanders from now on??
    I didn't think you were being rude or anything, just clarifying my point :-)
    Unless you are providing daytime temps in the mid-to-high 80s and never drop below 65 at night (70+ nights are better), you are better off choosing hybrids that have mixed parentage, preferably using plants that are known to be extremely tolerant of varied temperatures. Pure lowland species tend to need constant high humidity, and something tells me that isn't something you can offer either - just a guess. So, N. ventricosa hybrids are always a good bet, as are N. maxima hybrids, and N. alata hybrids, and probably some of the N. ampullaria hybrids (I'm thinking along the lines of N. Singapore Garden Tech, etc).

If you are new to Nepenthes, I think it is far better to select a group of plants that are likely to do really, really well for you, than just choosing the plants you like best, regardless of whether or not you can provide the climate they need. I encourage people to spend a year learning to grow the easy plants, and then start taking on the more challenging ones once you've gained some experience. On that note, I can offer you cuttings of N. Ventrata, which is extremely easy to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you grow highlanders?? if so, would you want to trade my glabrata for cuttings? i made a post in the trade section so it wont die because of me making a bad decision...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gexx View Post
    do you grow highlanders?? if so, would you want to trade my glabrata for cuttings? i made a post in the trade section so it wont die because of me making a bad decision...
    I do grow highland specie/hybrids, yes, with a few intermediate hybrids. (See: http://nitrogenseekers.files.wordpre...610-203757.jpg )

Thanks for the offer, but I already grow N. glabrata. I can probably still offer you some cuttings (maybe rooted, maybe freshly cut; I'll have to see whats out there) if you reimburse me for the cost of mailing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think ill pass, but thank you for the offer. i just got a Miranda cutting, and want to see how that goes. Plus, im leaving for college in two months, and only have limited space :/ so the only way i could get anything else, is if i traded this guy away.

if you know anyone who wants to trade for a glabrata, shoot them my way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123