Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitcherless Plant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    As I said earlier, I don't know the exact wattage of the bulbs and I certainly don't know what type they are.
    Did you ever think to go look at them? You have one of the best Nepenthes growers in the hobby taking his time to write detailed info to try and help but you can't even be bothered to look at your lights and cop an attitude with him instead? Between this and your Heli thread you really aren't doing yourself any favors.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Did you ever think to go look at them? You have one of the best Nepenthes growers in the hobby taking his time to write detailed info to try and help but you can't even be bothered to look at your lights and cop an attitude with him instead? Between this and your Heli thread you really aren't doing yourself any favors.
    Thank you for your amazing encouragement. Due to your motivation, I mustered the energy to go peer into the brilliant white glare of my bulbs. After a long trek back through my house, I have come to report that each bulb is twenty-six watts.

Now that I know that, would someone actually SPECIFY what they SHOULD be? I know that I need more wattage, but HOW MUCH more wattage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    Thank you for your amazing encouragement. Due to your motivation, I mustered the energy to go peer into the brilliant white glare of my bulbs. After a long trek back through my house, I have come to report that each bulb is twenty-six watts.

Now that I know that, would someone actually SPECIFY what they SHOULD be? I know that I need more wattage, but HOW MUCH more wattage?
    What is with the sarcasm? He brought up an extremely valid and relevant point, and you responded with a harsh tone and completely disregarded all the attention you have received. All we were asking was for you to do what you did. Now let us carry on with fixing your problems.

Kenny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they long straight tubes or the twisted compact fluorescent type? The twisted CFL are nice because you can get several side by side in those clip on reflector fixtures that fit a standard medium base light bulb. If they are straight tubes there really isn't much you can do other than replace the fixture with increased number of tubes or high intensity tubes, or both. If there is space you might be able to simply add a couple of the twisted CFL in some of those reflector fixtures.

The real issue though isn't so much the somewhat low wattage, it's the distance to the tubes that matters more. The light intensity drops off exponentially the further the distance to the light source, so a few inches one way or the other can make a big difference. If you can't get the lights closer perhaps raise the plant? This could be a simple solution for the time being.

As for putting them out in the sun. Well the Nepenthes probably wouldn't appreciate it, although they can take full sun but require a number of weeks to adjust. Not to mention it's been burned once and burning it again would probably set it back much more severely. I would certainly consider moving the VFT and Sarracenia out to a nice sunny place for the Summer. These guys are true sun worshipers. But again you probably need to do it carefully as they are also likely to burn at this point.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionysos86 View Post
    Something more suitable would be a fluffy, well-draining mix that includes lfs, perlite, possibly orchid bark, maybe some coco peat.
    I completely second this. My mix is LFS, perlite, and orchid bark in 2:1:1 or 3:1:1 ratio. And it works wonders. Throwing in some live sphagnum moss can't help. I also might consider using a net pot, I'm a huge advocate of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh woops forgot to answer your other question.

100% LFS is fine too. I know a number of growers that use it. For me personally it stays too wet as I can't water that carefully to keep it in that nice zone between too wet and too dry. If you use all LFS or a mix that has a high percentage of LFS in it, careful not to pack it too tightly into the pot. You want to try and keep the 'fluff'
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with a 100% Long Fibered Sphagnum medium as well. A few very reputable local nurseries grow beautiful Nepenthes using this simple soil mix.

Good Growing,
    Kenny

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll move the plant into some long-fiber Sphagnum. As for the tubes, they are the compact coiled thingies that you have described. Since my other plants are outside in full sun, I have moved the bulbs to literally six inches above the terrarium lid, about ten above the plants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast