Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: June Wistuba Shipment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered intermediates that can handle some heat. Not everyone ordered highlanders in this order.

I'm fine waiting for the order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    Guess you force me to ask the obvious then..
    What about those of us that can't afford large orders for free overnight, or the extra cost of overnight?
    The difference between standard shipping within the USA and overnight shipping within the USA (this means the shipment from my distributer to the customer) is just EUR 10 - equivalent to approximately US$ 13 ....
    My distributer ships plants to hot areas in Styrofoam boxes anyway.
    Of cause plants get damaged and have to be replaced occasionally - that's just a fact of life when shipping plants. However as long as the shipper has a fair replacement policy (I do!) this is not really an issue the customer suffers from.
    All the best
    Andreas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    I've learned the hard way that's it's best to place overseas orders during the off seasons when the weather isn't at it's harshest. Too many DOA's to count..
    Which is exactly why I quit ordering from the end of spring until the beginning of fall. And again until winter ends..
    While I agree that shipping in the middle of winter is impossible without a high risk and avoiding the peak of summer also is a good idea (one of the reasons I close for August and rather travel during this time), the risk at all other times is fairly controllable. Of cause there is a higher risk of heat damages in summer but believe me, if the loss rate would be that significant, I would not ship in June or July. I am shipping plants since the early 1990s and know what I'm doing, believe me
    BTW, since many years I ship everything to the USA either by airfreight or UPS-express. Plants are in US-customs no later than a day after shipping them from here. US customs forwards the shipments to USDA. Actually, most time of the whole shipment is spent in customs process - sometimes 2-3 days or so. USDA is fairly quick in most cases, often releasing the shipment after 1 day.
    So you cannot compare this process with other dealers shipping plants to the USA by airmail. I've given up airmail shipments to the USA more than 10 years ago. While airmail works perfectly well to many countries, especially in Asia, airmail shipments to and from the USA are very slow in my experience.
    I make my living from these plants and you cannot earn money from shipping dead plants.
    All the best
    Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Wistuba; 06-24-2013 at 04:16 PM.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you are answering questions, I have only one. Any idea on how soon you will have N. argentii available again?
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Wistuba View Post
    While I agree that shipping in the middle of winter is impossible without a high risk and avoiding the peak of summer also is a good idea, the risk at all other times is fairly controllable. Of cause there is a higher risk of heat damages in summer..
    That's all I was saying.. Don't know why people always turn my comments into a circus.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Wistuba View Post
    I am shipping plants since the early 1990s and know what I'm doing, believe me
    All the best
    Andreas
    I don't doubt you buddy.. I have the utmost confidence in all of your abilities.
    Again, I never once discredited you, your plants, or your shipping abilities.
    My comments only come from my personal experiences with other overseas vendors. None of which were pleasant during this time of year..
    I've only ordered from you once. And I must say, the edwardsiana arrived in April/May, and in perfect condition.
    Last edited by mass; 06-24-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only speak for myself... but if it was not for Andreas and his USA distributor, I would not have most of the plants in my collection.
    Sometimes its a wait for whatever reason, but I go into the transaction knowing that.

I have spent quite a bit with wistuba.com and will spend more in the future
    (wink wink.... put me on the H. mcdonaldae waiting list please)
    its only a joke people, don't get excited :-)
    ummm maybe :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never had anything but good experiences dealing with Andreas over the years -- and echo Butch's sentiments; and, if or ever some issue affected the plants -- whether it was weather or an unforeseen delay with the USDA tapeworms like last year -- he was always good about replacing things and what-have-you . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second that. Save a few minor mishaps, my experience with Andreas' has always been positive. I have lost one plant in the dozens I have ordered, and nothing was ever forgotten.

That being said, if you ever find your package is filled with desiccated plant matter, don't hesitate to let him know. It's as simple as writing a two-sentence email and replacements will be sent in the next shipment.