User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'll Betcha No One Hits the B.I.N.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sad. In every hobby there are "rare" specimens that get sold for outrageous numbers and this always seems to do more harm than good. In most cases nature is destroyed because someone wants to brag about a seedgrown or wild being.
    I wish everyone would protest and stop hyping up specimens like Macrophylla, Edwardsiana, C. Eden Black etc. I can understand a certain price for slow growing species and no one can deny these plants look unique. However, nothing is worth this much money when people all around the world are suffering from poverty.
    At the end of the day it's just a plant and it's not like you hand-crafted the thing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and how about that eddie posted right next to it? is it safe to buy plants like that off ebay?
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am totally going to bid on that. Totally.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima View Post
    It's sad. In every hobby there are "rare" specimens that get sold for outrageous numbers and this always seems to do more harm than good. In most cases nature is destroyed because someone wants to brag about a seedgrown or wild being...
    It's sort of like how the International Carnivorous Plant Society now has a rule that you can't just buy some seeds from the ICPS Seed Bank and then sell them for ten bucks apiece. Again, this doesn't really help the ICPS and really just gets rare, valuable seeds sold to people who most likely have no interest or experience with such plants. Essentially, the poor seeds' fates are sealed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main lol moment is since this guy supposedly loves this plant so much and is so difficult to grow then why on earth is it in the guys GARAGE!? BC Im sure a plant as "finicky" as that just LOVES to be moved around!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    It's sort of like how the International Carnivorous Plant Society now has a rule that you can't just buy some seeds from the ICPS Seed Bank and then sell them for ten bucks apiece. Again, this doesn't really help the ICPS and really just gets rare, valuable seeds sold to people who most likely have no interest or experience with such plants. Essentially, the poor seeds' fates are sealed.
    What?? I fail to see the logic in that statement. I mean, what member of the ICPS (an esoteric group with academic leanings) is going to buy seed if they have no interest (or experience) in raising them to adult plants? I think that the odds of the seeds ending up in the hands of capable, serious individuals are far greater via the ICPS store than anywhere else. Oh....wait....I get it; you were just trolling! Now I understand.

Cephalotus seedlings from from seed purchased from the ICPS in October 2011:
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2013/06/20130625-125224.jpg[/IMG]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    First off, I see no comparison with people who sell rare plants for outrageously high $$ to the low $$ ICPS makes seed available to paid memberships.

Explain to me just how this rule "gets rare, valuable seeds sold to people who most likely have no interest or experience with such plants?" I would think it discourages such.

Lastly, if you would bother to read the rules in their entirety, or even understood what ICPS is all about, it may make sense to you. Also, there is a legitimate explanation for that rule...if you bother to read further than the first paragraph.

Edit: Paul, you are quicker at composing than I am and beat me to it, lol. Nice ceph btw.
    Last edited by DJ57; 06-25-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima View Post
    It's sad. In every hobby there are "rare" specimens that get sold for outrageous numbers and this always seems to do more harm than good. In most cases nature is destroyed because someone wants to brag about a seedgrown or wild being.
    I wish everyone would protest and stop hyping up specimens like Macrophylla, Edwardsiana, C. Eden Black etc. I can understand a certain price for slow growing species and no one can deny these plants look unique. However, nothing is worth this much money when people all around the world are suffering from poverty.
    At the end of the day it's just a plant and it's not like you hand-crafted the thing.

I fail to see the connection to poverty. Are you saying that since poverty exists nobody has the right to a comfortable life and hobbies they enjoy? If that is how you feel then why are you here instead of living in a ditch somewhere?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast