Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pete's plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete's plants

Hi, thought I finally make a thread about my plants. I mainly grow lowlanders in 2 terrariums. The main one is lucky reptile measured about 80 x 50 x 100 cm (2.7 x 1.6 x 3.2 ft) and the second consists of 2 Ikea glass cabinets combined into one at about 160 x 80 x 30 cm (2.7 x 5.3 x 1 ft). Main terrarium has 2 x 18 W T8s, the secondary has 2 x 8 W T5s.

The main terrarium

The secondary terrarium

The neps:
    (Main terrarium)

Nepenthes Bicalcarata Ampullaria

Nepenthes Ampullaria 'Lime Twist'

Nepenthes Bellii Truncata

Nepenthes Kuchingensis (Ampullaria Mirabilis)

Nepenthes Trichocarpa

Nepenthes Hookeriana

Nepenthes Bellii 'Mindanao'

Nepenthes Veitchii 'Golden peristome'; lowland form, Bario

Nepenthes Albomarginata 'Red'; G. Jerai, Kedah, Malaysia

Nepenthes Mirabilis var. Echinostoma

(secondary terrarium)

Nepenthes sp.

Drosera Madagascariensis

Nepenthes Ampullaria 'Brunei Red Speckled'

Cephalotus Follicularis

Nepenthes 'Rebecca Soper'

Nepenthes Louisa (Hirsuta Rebecca Soper)
    Last edited by pmatil; 01-14-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet your Nep sp. is a Miranda, judging from the leaves. A closer shot of pitchers would help though.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a picture of a pitcher. Currently they are almost all without a lid. It sure seems like a Miranda but what am I doing wrong? Its in lowland conditions, humidity 80 %+, temps day up to 82F, night down to 72F.

Last edited by pmatil; 07-23-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Additional info

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume soil conditions then. They like airy soils, like a mix of sphagnum and perlite. That's what mine are in, and they even pitchered when in only 20% humidity. What soil is yours in?
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice collection. I bet you never have low humidity issues with that lining in your terrarium.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jcal. No, I don't have low humidity issues (anymore) but recently I noticed that keeping the ventilation grill open in the lower part of the terrarium front wall causes the humidity to be too low next to the grill so I had to tape it shut.

hcarlton, I repotted the plant in LFS/perlite/orchid bark mix a few years ago so I don't know... After recovering from the repotting it made one normal pitcher, after that all without a lid except once in a while it makes a normal pitcher. This one is a mystery to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmatil View Post
    Thanks Jcal. No, I don't have low humidity issues (anymore) but recently I noticed that keeping the ventilation grill open in the lower part of the terrarium front wall causes the humidity to be too low next to the grill so I had to tape it shut.
    Little, or funky looking lids aren't a soil issue. Any chance Miranda was one of the one's in lower humidity? Low humidity might cause lids to grow strangely or too small. You could also bump the lighting up or move it closer to the lights, Miranda likes a lot of sun and that pitcher looks like it's been grown in too little light. How long has it been in the terrarium, any chance it's still adjusting to the conditions in there?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taargus, this one was on the other side of the terrarium than the vent grill. But it's possible as I've just recently blocked most of the vent holes so the humidity stays up. It's been almost 2 years in the terrarium. As for the lighting it's worth a try but I moved it to the other terrarium which has even less light as I got a bunch of new plants to the main terrarium. I may as well trade/sell the miranda as I can't offer it the conditions it needs. Anyone has a Campanulata to trade?

Oh and I got a new Bellii (the one above is struggling for survival) from carnivoria.eu. I ordered one and got 2 (or more, there's lots of basals)

Last edited by pmatil; 07-27-2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Added Bellii

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast