What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey members

I've have been having a devil of a time getting N. hamatas to thrive. I have over 200 Nepenthes species and hybrids, including about 6 hamata hybrids all of which are growing like mad!, but for some reason, I'm failing when it comes to growing N. hamatas species.

I believe I'm supplying the correct humidity levels, but I don't know if it's my growing media, temp or both. I've been able to keep the day temps between 80's, but my evening summer temps don't get any lower the low 70's.

As for my media, I have tried a mix of LSM, Fir bark, perlite, mesh pots, and there seems to be no real root growth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

John

I've been able to keep the day temps between 80's, but my evening summer temps don't get any lower the low 70's.
John

I think that pretty much points to the main problem right there.

I've tried to get the temp down at night, I even invented a mini swamp cooler, but I can only get it down about 10 degrees lower than ambient. I'm just not setup for refrigeration.

So it is the lack of really cool night time temps that is the problem?!

Last edited:
I have over 200 Nepenthes species and hybrids...
Paul is probably correct. What other HL Neps are you growing? My hamata's are not close to being the touchiest species I'm growing....

Do you want to see my list ;-)

Here are the main ones, not including cuttings and seedlings

N. singalana (Beilarang)
N. hamata ...................... (the problem ones)
N. gymnamphora (Dieng Mtns)
N. maxima?
N. jamban .............................. (Also a problem one)
N. naga
N. rhombicaulis malesiana
N. fusca (flared paristome)
N. burkei
N. sanguinea
N. sibuyanensis
N. ramispina
N. ventricosa
N. gracilis
N. alata
N. ampullaria 'Spotted Brunei'
N. ampullaria 'Brunei Green'
N. ampullaria 'Lime Twist'
N. ampullaria 'Harlequin'
N. rafflesiana
N. gracilis nigra-purpurea
N. bicalcarata (Red Flush)
N. bicalcarata 'SARAWAK GIANT RED'
N. bicalcarata (Red Fangs)
N. ventricosa x aristolochioides
N. ventricosa x (inermis x bongso)
N. spathulata x spectabilis
N. spathulata x truncata
N. spectabilis x aristolochioides
N. ventricosa x hamata
N. spathulata x hamata
N. singalana x aristolochioides
N. talangensis x hamata
N. hamata x platychila
N. spathulata x diatas
N. gracillima x ventricosa (Rebecca Soper)
N. spathulata x aristolochiodes
N. hirsuta x spathulata
N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana
N. inermis x talangensis
N. burbidgeae x platychila
N. fusca x veitchii x Mt. Copelandi
N. aristolochioides x (ventricosa 'Red' x talangensis)
N. veitchii x spathulata (Judith Finn)
N. petiolata x trusmadiensis
N. lowii x campanulata
N. (maxima x northiana) x maxima (x Miranda)
N. ventricosa x alata (x Ventrata)
N. ventricosa x maxima (Red Leopard)
N. fusca x maxima (Velvet)
N. viking x ampullaria
N. mirabilis var. globosa 'Viking'
N. mirabilis var globosa
N. boschiana
N. spatulata x maxima
N. talangensis x maxima 'Lady Pauline'
N. burbidgeae
N. aristolochioides x ventricosa
N. splendiana x mixta
N. Toyo x (Thorelli x Trumadiensis)
N. aristo x ventricosa
N. mirabilis var. globosa 'Viking'
N. belli x ventricosa
N. ventricosa x talangensis
N. thorelii x (eymae x veitchii 'giant peristome')
N. lowii x campanulata
N. lowii trusmadi
N. spathulata x aristolochiodes
N. ampullaria 'Red Spotted'
N. spectabilis x mira
N. x hookeriana
N. (spathulata x aristolochioides) x platychyla
N. petiolata x spectabilis
N. sibuyanensis x Lady Pauline (talangensis x maxima)BE-TC
N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae)
N. splendiana’[smilesii (or kampotiana) x mirabilis]
N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae)
N. singalana x hamata
N. carunculata var robusta x hamata
N. reinwardtiana (Mt Sago)
N. Viking x ampullaria
N. burbridgea
N. inermis x bongso
N. singalana (Belirang)
N. spectabilis x burkei
N. splendiana x (veitchii x maxima) x veitchii
N. rokko (thorelii x maxima)
N. northiana
N. spectabilis x hamata
N. x hookeriana
N. raffleisiana Indonesia
N. Viking x rafflesiana (Dark)
N. pectinata (Purple)
N. pectinata Purple x truncata
... and I have had these growing for a number of years!

I know, I'm frustrated, Since I know they need a cool night time temp. I would like to move them outdoors, since our night time temps get in the low 50's. but I haven't planned or saved for a greenhouse yet.

Agreed. Temperature is your problem. If you can get your temps to at least the lower 60's at night, and keep them below 80 during the day, that should do them a lot of good. How you achieve those temps is up to you. I bought a used AC unit for $40 which I use to cool down my highland plants, and it works well

Edit:
Pics might be helpful too, if you can supply a couple ;)
Best of luck!

id say yes, its the lack of cool nights. hamata hybrids are so much easier going than the species. not very good measuring sticks to compare the pure hamata with :)

Thank you all for the input..

I would like to make a mini refig unit. Still planning on working out the floor space for one.

At least try getting it to 65° F at night.

I grow my hamata on windowsill, temps get to 78 to 80 during the day and at night it goes down to 68. I've had this plant for almost 3 months and is growing bigger leaves. I have no idea what humidity is on since I just keep it as a regular house plant. I do mist it in the morning and right before I go to bed. Here is a picture of when I first received it and how it looks now. The recent picture was taking this morning. Hope it helps.
Before:
photo3_zpsfedc2d8d.jpg

Today:
photo2_zps425f0535.jpg

I know, I'm frustrated, Since I know they need a cool night time temp. I would like to move them outdoors, since our night time temps get in the low 50's. but I haven't planned or saved for a greenhouse yet.
Do you have windows? :scratch:

Monitor your inside & outside temps. When the outer temps drop below the inner - fire up a fan in a window. Get up around 5-6am & close the window. During the hot summer months, this is what I typically do.

If your night temps outside the house drop into the fifties, could you not at least put the hamata(s) into a sealed container and set them outside at night, just to experience a decent temperature drop? Sure, it will be more work on your part, but it will likely mean the difference between utter failure and stunning success.

I grow my hamata on windowsill, temps get to 78 to 80 during the day and at night it goes down to 68. I've had this plant for almost 3 months and is growing bigger leaves

@favian: don't be surprised if you find under those conditions that your plant behaves the same as that singalana hybrid you traded away: lots of leaves but no pitchers. After 3 months you should have seen at least one pitcher form. 68F night just don't cut it.

We shall see Paul ;)

I do have windows, but the logistics in moving the air is a problem. The windows are large and slide sideways and not up. What media are the successful growers using?

If your night temps outside the house drop into the fifties, could you not at least put the hamata(s) into a sealed .

I tried that with other plants and we have mystery guests the come in and eat them. We live in an area where anything green and looks edible, will be torn up and eaten... They even eat the prickly pears,. paddles and all!

We believe the eaters of the plants are squirrels, rabbits, mice, wood rats and mule deer. It's probably all of the above!

how about building a caged in enclosure?

If your night temps outside the house drop into the fifties, could you not at least put the hamata(s) into a sealed container and set them outside at night, just to experience a decent temperature drop?.

WG

I will try that, only because I'm getting a little desperate now, and take that chance. Any suggestions on the media. I have them in LSM.

TY

John

Back