Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Water Level' mark on the inside of pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could also be where the pitcher (the pitcher's genetics, if you will) expects the water line to be, and approximates (based on genetic memory) where to put that fill line. Back to the aptly chosen N. amplullaria, amps. have no functional lid, and tend to fill completely. In this case, a waxy zone is useless. Note where N. lowii tends to fill at; any higher and the water will possibly be knocked out wind or be absorbed by the plant.The point is, the plant expects the water to be just... about.... THERE, and there is where it puts that line.

The reason that some lines are easier to see than others is because some plants have a much thicker layer. The wax is somewhat opaque little flakes o fwax, just like the flakes of graphite (as seen by a scanning electron microscope).

I *highly* recommend McPherson's "Pitcher Plants of the Old World". This is all discussed very well in the first volume, as well as a source for my rice stuffed Neps dinner dish.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    It could also be where the pitcher (the pitcher's genetics, if you will) expects the water line to be, and approximates (based on genetic memory) where to put that fill line. Back to the aptly chosen N. amplullaria, amps. have no functional lid, and tend to fill completely. In this case, a waxy zone is useless. Note where N. lowii tends to fill at; any higher and the water will possibly be knocked out wind or be absorbed by the plant.The point is, the plant expects the water to be just... about.... THERE, and there is where it puts that line.

The reason that some lines are easier to see than others is because some plants have a much thicker layer. The wax is somewhat opaque little flakes o fwax, just like the flakes of graphite (as seen by a scanning electron microscope).

I *highly* recommend McPherson's "Pitcher Plants of the Old World". This is all discussed very well in the first volume, as well as a source for my rice stuffed Neps dinner dish.
    I'm no Nepenthes expert, but what you're saying makes sense. The plant needs to "know" about how full it will be and "knows" not to make wax any higher than the water line, since submerged wax is useless wax, at least for the plant. You (and that's you as a general audience, not you, you) probably would not bother to use up your precious energy and time making stuff that would be useless to you (even if you aren't a Nepenthes). You might waste some time and energy just making something to kill time or just for fun, but entertainment is something that plants do not need, and these plants never "know" how long they'll live, so time is precious.

And did McPherson seriously put a recipe for rice-stuffed Nepenthes in his book?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One way to find out.

Yes, he did. It's a popular treat in some parts of Indonesia. Yes, I did try it, along with another recipe I found online. FAB-U-lous! I brought some to a BACPS potluck, and everyone there liked them. Those that tried, and didn't chicken out with the banana leaf wrapped rice instead. Even Peter had one.

I would also think that the wax would hinder the effectiveness of the digestive/absorptive glands. It's good to know where to start one zone and stop the other.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12