User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: N. edwardsiana growers - come in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    Not to mention my temperatures as of late have not been falling below 64 at night, which generally limits anthocyanin expression.
    Dave Evans came out with one of his interesting facts,neps apparently do not have anthocyanin ,maybe that's why we don't have antho free neps,looking damn fine Mass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BS that nepenthes don't have anthocyanin. Find me a scientific paper proving nepenthes do not contain anthocyanins and I'll gladly change my tune.

A quick search on wikipedia yields this, "Betalains are red or yellow pigments. Like anthocyanins they are water-soluble, but unlike anthocyanins they are indole-derived compounds synthesized from tyrosine. This class of pigments is found only in the Caryophyllales (including cactus and amaranth), and never co-occur in plants with anthocyanins." Some plants in Caryophyllales do have anthocyanin instead of Betalains, but again show me a paper saying nepenthes don't have anthocyanins.
    Last edited by mcmcnair; 09-09-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    Dave Evans came out with one of his interesting facts,neps apparently do not have anthocyanin ,maybe that's why we don't have antho free neps,looking damn fine Mass

Not Dave Evans, but here's a brief explanation by an Australian grower from 2011:

"As an aside, Nepenthes do not have anthocyanins. Being members of the order Caryophyllales, the red and yellow pigments of Nepenthes are Betalains (Betacyanins and Betaxanthins, respectively). Betalains have also been found in Drosera, and I suspect they are present in Dionaea as well. These pigments are of taxonomic significance and is one of the molecular links between Nepenthes and other plants such as cacti and the common beet (Beta vulgaris being the namesake of these pigments). Anthocyanins have not yet been found in plants with Betalains.

Cheers,

Chooka"

Read more: http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/t...#ixzz2eQ8qWMUl
    Last edited by mato; 09-09-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for doing the leg work,it was just something that i remembered,cheers Mato

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as it isn't part of the "core" Caryophyllales, it appears Nepenthaceae doesn't fall within the betalain producing families of the order Caryophyllales, instead relying on anthocyanin production. It also appears betalain is not a synapomorphy for the order, as the above quote seemed to imply.

N. edwardsiana growers - come in!-screen-shot-2013-09-09-11-31-27-am-jpg

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store...0of32&a891e23b

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..looking damn fine Mass
    Thanks buddy.. it's getting there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmcnair View Post
    BS that nepenthes don't have anthocyanin. Find me a scientific paper proving nepenthes do not contain anthocyanins and I'll gladly change my tune.

A quick search on wikipedia yields this, "Betalains are red or yellow pigments. Like anthocyanins they are water-soluble, but unlike anthocyanins they are indole-derived compounds synthesized from tyrosine. This class of pigments is found only in the Caryophyllales (including cactus and amaranth), and never co-occur in plants with anthocyanins." Some plants in Caryophyllales do have anthocyanin instead of Betalains, but again show me a paper saying nepenthes don't have anthocyanins.
    so i take it there are papers that say anthocyanins are in neps,getting far too clever for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i take it there are papers that say anthocyanins are in neps,getting far too clever for me
    me to man. me too.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast