Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: N. hamata on a windowsill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. hamata on a windowsill?

I am primarily a lowland grower, but I've been looking into plants to adapt to my windowsill. I was thinking about a truncata, but I think I want to make my last plant-related investment before college to be in a plant that sparked my interest in CPs: N. hamata. There are two places I think I could grow this plant (to be purchased from AW), my windowsill or my basement. Any combination would work, though this is a plant I would love to display as it grows up.

Windowsill:

Spring/Summer

Day temps: 75-85F, occasionally to 90F
    Night temps: 70-75F
    Light: Direct for 2-3 hours, then bright to partial indirect for a total of 15 hours.

Fall/Winter:

Day temps: 75F
    Night temps: 55-60F
    Light: Direct for 3-4 hours, indirect for a total of 12 hours.

The RH is typically in the 30-50% range, higher at night, and I assume higher with wet media and evaporating water around the plant.

My basement is consistent with conditions, year round:

Day: 70F, though under the sundews lights it averages to about 80F.
    Night: 63-67F
    Light: Artificially provided

I've seen that people have adapted hamatas to windowsills before. Do these conditions seem plausible? I recognize they are not ideal, and I rarely make big investments for single plants, but I think hamata is certainly worth having. I also understand it will be difficult to harden off a plant purchased directly from AW, and am considering this risk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. hamata is a poor choice for the window sill. Stick with the truncata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it could be possible if the nights can get down to the low 60's. I grow two hamatas, one indoors and one outside. I recently moved and have had a lot of trouble getting my indoor nights to drop below 65-70 and the hamata definitely suffered. I grew him in a terrarium and I think the extra humidity helped, but the one outdoors is obviously much happier getting nights around 60. I've seen a few nice window grow hamatas. But overall I think there are plenty of other awesome plants that you can grow on a windowsill that would appreciate it much more and reward you with good growth. If your willing to go the hybrid route there are a bunch of awesome things you could grow. I grow lowii x campy as an intermediate and it seems to like it.
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the truncata first. It's likely going to prove a challenge in itself.
    It will take quite some time to acclimate and pitcher that for sure I'm still waiting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might try it with a mature hamata, but certainly not one that's AW size. It'll die in no time. I'm told they don't get tough until they're in the vining stage.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron Dudek grows his hamata on a windowsill and it's been flourishing for a while now:

N. hamata on a windowsill?-1004719_308156492652113_422409832_n-jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, you can grow hamata on a windowsill, but your basement sounds like much better conditions. With an expensive plant like hamata, you don't want to go experimenting with it, especially as a small plant. As you take cuttings of it through the years, experiment with those, but just try to give the plant optimal conditions to begin with
    (*basement *).
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429