Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: question on the most beautifull nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bellsprout View Post
    What do you mean "to have just the one"? Is it like the mother plant?
    I have only one, and I am happy with it. It is really way too young to show much more than a basic shape and a little color; I have a little while yet to see what it will look like.

There are seedlings still available, if you watch and wait. I heard a rumor, possibly true, possibly not, that the seedlings, the offspring, have entered TC.

Edit: Wow, two replies snuck in just while I was typing. LOL!
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i assume its because the plants were thought to be the last of their kind when acquired (though i have heard that more robcantleyi may have been found in the wild recently) and being the originals of the species' comeback make them very special to Rob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @amphirion: it's more curiosity then actually buying them, but I can imagine the seedgrowns are now too big for low prices. Though I see some sites who do it for around 40euro or 50 dollars. edit: i just saw one for 30euro = 40 dollar and 8 to 12 cm = 3 to 4.5 inch
    I guess when they start to sell tc plants, we will know how the pitchers look like before buying, so I will wait till that moment. Also I think when you cross the q X s with a q X s in a couple of years, you have more chance that it looks like a 'pure queen'? Maybe in ten years I can get what I want for low prices lol

edit: I see that both Lil Stinkpot and mylesG have heard a rumor and we can't find too much on the internet. Do you guys think I should ask the expert take a look at this thread and bring some light in the dark? Could I send an email?
    Last edited by bellsprout; 09-22-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    @myles: im pretty sure that the 'king of spades' and 'queen of hearts' are actually in cultivation, hence their cultivar status--you cant call a wild plant a cultivar; they were harvested from wild parents though if i call correctly, so maybe one day they might make cuttings of the parents, but are making money of the chitlins so they probably wont stop doing that anytime soon.

huh, i inquired with rob about getting on or both of the parents as cuttings and he told me that they had no plans to take any or sell cuts.

i didnt mean to imply that the parents are still in the wild lol. they are definitely in cultivation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of experts and super experts already here on TF. We just have to wait for them to log on, see the thread, and reply.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, in my opinion, there are many more plants, both species and hybrids that are much more beautiful than robcantleyii. Check out plants like: burbridgeae, edwardsiana, Trusmadiensis, veitchii if you like flashy plants. If you like dark plants like the robcantleyii, then there are a few awesome dark species like naga (check out whimgrinder's thread as well as cthulhu's thread for super dark and awesome examples), and lingulata, and my favorites: ramispina and muluensis (although they're much less flashy). And if you want to see some awesome hybrids, do yourself a favor and flip through this thread for a little while: http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/t...mansell?page=7 It definitely got me excited and burned a whole in my wallet that seems to keep burning
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By "in cultivation" Myles meant "in tissue culture" I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @East_to_west: I also have other favourites, like naga, edward, hamata, attenboroughii, lowii, rajah, jamban, aristolochioides, spectabilis... I don't know why but queen of hearts looks most amazing to me. It is true that some hybrids are most exceptional too.
    I still hope someone really knows why it isn't possible to tissue culture it. Don't they do it with most species like rajah that don't flower much?
    Anyway thanks to you guys I realise I should wait a bit for the offspring tissue cultures and maybe buy a robcantleyi just in a shop.
    I'll see maybe next year if all my plants survived their first year

Also the link has very spectacular hybrids, I'm amazed so thanks for it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast