Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noob-penthes grower needs help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Noob-penthes grower needs help!

Hello everyone, it's been a while.
    About 2 1/2 years ago, I became obsessed with Nepenthes. Long story short, kill count = 4, lost about 60 bucks worth of material, and general being-annoyed-at-life. Age = 12 1/2. For the past year however, I figured I'd start simple, and work my way back up. Got 2 D. capensis plants, built a terrarium out of a 10gal tank and a grow-light, got a steady supply of distilled water from the supermarket (The hard water might have been the nail in the earlier plants coffins), gained some life experience, and managed not to kill the sundews for over a year. Now, at age 15, fresh into high school, I figured "Hey, I have a few hundred dollars saved up, why not take another attempt at one of my favorite hobbies, and greatest challenges." I've put together a list of things (via amazon) that I'd need to build a bigger terrarium, and it would be really nice if someone could tell me if they think it could as a highland Nepenthes terrarium.
    1) Base structure;
    Zilla 28021 20-Gallon Critter Cage, 30-Inch by 12-Inch by 12-Inch (actual 20gal aquarium tank) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3RSTMGEETZS7Z
    Perfecto Manufacturing APF33300 Glass Canopy Aquarium, 30-Inch (lid for tank)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AEL917WTFL8PV
    2) Light fixture;
    Aqueon LED Aquarium Light Fixture, 30-Inch
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    (Sidenote; I have an automatic timer on my previous terrarium I can use with this)
    3) Hygrometer + Thermometer;
    Zoo Med Economy Analog Dual Thermometer and Humidity Gauge
    4) Water/Sprinkler system;
    Flower House SOL-K12 Solar RainMaker Automatic Watering System

So, before I go out and spend rather a lot of money on something that might not work, could anyone give me advice/tips/suggestions/help of any sort?
    Sincerely,
    A (very) young member of the community,
    Mr Acurite.
    If Swiss Cheese has holes, and more holes=less cheese, and more cheese=more holes, does that mean that more cheese=less cheese?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't give anything more detailed right now, but don't go with a 20 gallon terrarium, especially for that price. Check Craigslist, I got my 75 gallon tank for that much money. More room means larger plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I agree with Drew here. Definitely look on craigslist, that price is pretty ridiculous. IMHO the automatic watering system isn't necessary unless you will be going on extended trips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the thing; I'm not actually going to order most of these things on amazon, the list is just a list of stuff I'm going to try and go to Petco or something to buy. Also, I don't have enough room for anything larger then 30 inches. The reason why I want a, perhaps unnecessary, watering mechanism is because I have a sub-conscious fear that I'm going to forget to water them, or something along those lines, and my plants will die because my homework took up more space in my brain than my plants did. Basically, paranoia. Would these parts make a workable terrarium, nonetheless?
    If Swiss Cheese has holes, and more holes=less cheese, and more cheese=more holes, does that mean that more cheese=less cheese?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is: have you determined why your previous efforts failed? Knowing this is essential information, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best guess is the use of hard tap water. I'm surprised now, looking back, that a tiny N. truncata managed to power through a full year of hard water before dying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And so, you've tested your water supply to determine TDS levels, yes? Guessing and knowing are two different things ;-) It sounds like you have decided on bottled distiller as an alternative, so that's good.

Describe how your N. Truncata died? What makes you think it was bad water? Details, details!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use a glass top, acrylic and polycarbonate can be found at most hardware stores. It might be a bit more expensive but glass doesn't transmit as much light. Also, not sure about that light.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast